Chapter 59: Family Struggles

M I A

"They're my friends, mom," I told her desperately. "I'm sorry for sneaking out. But I don't want to be here anymore."

My mom glared at me. Her eyes were full of pure anger and fury. Everyone in the living room went silent as I took a deep breath, trying to stop myself from breaking down in front of everybody.

"How dare you?" she said through her teeth. She shot up from her seat, taking a step dangerously close to me. "How dare you try to do such an ignorant thing? I now realize how useless it is to waste my time on you."

My dad refused to even look at me. My siblings wouldn't even care.

"I try so hard for you," I screamed, no matter how scared I was. "I studied constantly, 24/7 just to make you proud. I want a life! I don't want to have to do this!"

"You're going to be a failure," my dad said, staring at me emotionlessly.

"Don't sugarcoat it," my mom told him angrily. "She is a failure. I'm so fucking close to giving up on this one."

"The kid's a screw up anyway," he said, continuing to read his newspaper calmly. "Better off without her."

"What're you thinking?" She asked. "She's too old for fucking adoption—"

"Never too late."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My heart dropped, shattering into thousands of tiny pieces that filled my entire body with pain. My eyes stung with tears as I stood trembling, watching them talk about how much they hated me in front of my face.

"We moved here, just for you," she snapped. "We did so much for you."

"I was getting bullied!" I told her. "They were—"

"Pack your things, we're not staying here," My mom muttered, pushing past me and going upstairs.

"Jesus christ!" My dad shouted. "We're not moving! If you want her to leave, kick her out! Only her."

"Yeah, why do we have to go through all of that trouble because Mia's a failure?" My sister's voice came from the kitchen. "I like it here."

"We're not moving!" Dad shouted. "That's final!"

I heard things being thrown around in my room. I ran upstairs to see her trashing everything, throwing books at the walls, throwing my chair on the ground...

"Stop!" I screamed, pulling on her arm. "Mom—"

She shoved me harshly, shaking with rage. "It was a mistake. You were a mistake."

I started breaking down. "Mom—"

She pushed me aside, opening my closet door. She yanked my homecoming dress. My eyes widened and I felt my heart drop. "No, mom, stop!"

I didn't know how angry she was but she started ripping the dress with her bare hands, tearing away the prettiest pieces of it. I screamed at her for to stop, trying to take it out of my hands.

"You don't deserve this, you don't deserve anything!" My mom three the dress onto the ground.

"I hate you!" I screamed, looking at the torn up dress laying on the ground. It took me all my strength to not drop onto the ground with tears spilling down my face.