Chapter 55: Are They A Stalker?

E V A N N A

"Jayden, please," I begged, knocking on his door. "Let's talk."

"There's nothing to talk about," He grumbled lazily. "I'm going to sleep."

"It's 2 in the afternoon, please, Jayden," I said.

"I don't care if it's 2 PM or 2 AM, I'm going to sleep."

"Jayden, I know you're mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you."

"You've been avoiding me all day and I didn't even get to see your face once."

"Why don't you go see Matthew's face then?"

"Jayden-"

"He keeps hurting you over and over again but you still go back to him..." Jayden said, his voice pained and hurt. "If I hurt you too, will you come to me?"

"Jayden, I don't need to come to you. I've always been there with you."

"You forgot about our promise."

"Matthew said it was important. He's... he was important to me. I'm sorry for forgetting. That was my fault. Let's go hang out right now at least. Please? Just... let me see your face. I miss you."

There was a moment of silence and then the doorknob turned. Jayden opened the door and leaned against the frame. His face was blank but his eyes were sad. His hair was messed up and he looked out of it.

"Jayden," I said.

"Do you still care about him?"

"Matthew?"

"Who else?"

I hesitated. Of course, I still cared about him. I cared about his well-being. I cared about his feelings. I knew he was going through a rough time too. Especially with his sister and everything... I just wished he would tell me why he said those things and decided that we shouldn't be friends. That was the one thing I wanted to know.

"Well, by the look on your face and hesitation, I'm guessing, yes," Jayden said, snapping his finger in front of my face.

"I'm really sorry..." I said. "You were waiting a long time... weren't you?"

Jayden sighed. "It's not like I could just walk away. If I left and you came, you would've been by yourself."

"In the end, I was left by myself anyways," I said, smiling sadly. "Jayden... I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Don't apologize," he told me. "When you say 'sorry' it hurts me. It's okay. So don't apologize, alright?"

"You're forgiving me?"

He sighed, smiling. "We could always hang out another time."

I quickly pulled him into a hug. "Thank you. I love you."

"You know, I'm still... I'm still annoyed at what he said to you," Jayden said, hugging me back. "Like... he couldn't have just said 'let's stop being friends'? He really had to hurt you even more, huh?"