Chapter 28: Mia's Story

E V A N N A

After math, I went to government and sat next to Mia who smiled at me once she saw me.

"Hey," I told her.

She took out a piece of paper and handed to me. "Can I get your phone number?"

Then she awkwardly looked around, "S-so I can... hang out with you... and text you... and... stuff friends do..."

Mia sighed and bit her lip. "I'm not good with this... friend stuff..."

"Don't worry, I'm not good at it either," I said. "Some reason, all of my friends turn out to be fake and leave me."

"Those are terrible friends," Mia agreed.

I wrote my phone number on it and gave it to her, making her smile. "You should do the morning help with me for Mrs. Wilson."

"Oh," She said, "Maybe... I'm kind of scared to ask her... and I don't have a ride either..."

Couldn't her parents drop her off? Or her siblings? Both of them should have their license, maybe.

"I'll come with you when you're asking her," I said.

"Okay, can we do it on Friday, though? I still have to ask my parents," Mia told me.

I nodded. "Sure."

Then after the bell rang and we started class. The process repeated until I finally got to the class I've been waiting for.

As soon as the bell rang, the hallways were flooded with students, some running to their classes, and others going to the cafeteria or outside.

I waited at the cafeteria entrance until Mia came, holding a small lunchbox in her hands. She smiled and we walked into the cafeteria together. I also had my lunch so we sat down across from each other and opened our lunches.

"I'm kind of scared to be a freshmen soon," Mia said, shrugging. "A lot of people keep saying freshmen's the worst year."

I smiled. "It can't be that bad, right?"

"Kind of intimidating," Mia muttered. "All these upperclassmen in the cafeteria with us."

"I hope this school isn't one of those rude, popular girls or something," I said, rolling my eyes.

The cafeteria was loud and chaotic. There were people running around and screaming, but isn't that like all schools?

"Do you want to go outside?" Mia asked me.

I shrugged. "Yeah."

We both grabbed our lunches and went to the back door and out, where other students were eating. We chose a spot under a beautiful flower tree with a bench and sat there.

"This is so cool," Mia said, her eyes brightening. "I've always wanted to try this in school."

I smiled. "Me too. It's so pretty out here."

"My old school wouldn't let anyone go out during school times. It was really... really strict," Mia said. "But most schools in Korea are, what can I do?"