Chapter 2: The Truth Becomes Revealed

E V A N N A

Build up your wall.

Don't let anyone come in.

Don't open up to anyone.

I gripped my hair in frustration, tears threatening to fall. These voices were telling me I shouldn't forgive anyone, that I should isolate myself from everyone.

I didn't know what to do...

"Evanna! Someone's here to visit you!" Mom yelled.

Matthew.

I quickly fixed my messy hair and got rid of any tears that were about to fall. I ran downstairs and was greeted by Andrew, Ethan, Brandon, Daniel, Alex all staring at Matthew, who was at the door.

"Hey... Evanna," Matthew said awkwardly. "Uh, can we talk...?"

I nodded, Matthew following me to the living room. Matthew looked around. "Your house is... huge..."

"And your brothers... you have more than three," Matthew said. "And... they all look like they want to kill me..."

I laughed awkwardly. "Y-yeah... ignore them..."

Matthew looked at me. "So what's going on?"

I took a deep breath. "Don't get mad... okay?"

"I'm not going to be mad, you can tell me anything."

"Well—"

Suddenly, Matthew shot up from the couch, pointing to someone. "What is he doing here?"

I looked to where he was pointing, and Jayden was standing by the stairs, glaring right back at Matthew. "What the fuck is he doing here?"

Shoot... I forgot about him...

"Matthew," I said, trying to calm him down. "That's what I was trying to tell you..."

  Matthew stared between me and Jayden. "Oh... oh...."

"He's my brother," I told him.

And that's when all hell broke loose.

"Jayden is your brother?" Matthew asked in disbelief. "What kind of brother abuses and bullies their own sister?"

"Matthew," I tried, but he ignored me.

"Evanna, you're living with someone who tried to kill you?" Matthew exclaimed.

"What?" Andrew's eyes widened.

"He's my step brother," I said, putting my hand on Matthew's chest. "Matthew... you said you won't be mad..."

Matthew's expression softened when he saw my face. "I'm... I'm not mad... just... shocked..."

"So this is why it was hard for you to stand up for yourself? You saw Jayden in and out of school, making it almost impossible to defend yourself..." Matthew mumbled, and then glared at Jayden. "What an abusive fucking person."