Chapter 38: Separated

E V A N N A

It was finally summer.

No more school.

No more homework.

We saw Brandon graduate.

And then my dad came back.

"Evanna, where are your brothers?" He asked, first thing in the morning, as soon as he walked in.

Not even a hello.

"Good morning to you, dad," I said, fake smiling. "And where have you been?"

"I asked you a question."

Bruh.

"You're not, you know, not even gonna ask how I was? Or what I've been doing?" I said, shaking my head.

"I'm busy. Where are your brothers?"

"Did you forget that I'm your daughter?"

"What?"

I went on the couch, taking my phone out. "It feels like you just gave me to another family and just left. Like, you're my dad. I barely see you."

"And?"

My jaw literally dropped. I was staring at him in shock, wondering how I got him as my father. "I can't believe you."

I got up and walked upstairs, not wanting to deal with his crap.

"I didn't mean that!" My dad yelled. "Evanna, come down! Evanna!"

I took a deep breath and turned around. "What."

"I didn't mean it," he simply said. "I understand. You're my daughter and I haven't been spending any time with you. Let's go out to get some food, yeah? Maybe go shopping."

What the heck.

"You literally—" I blinked. "What?"

"Come on, let's go," He said, smiling.

That smile. The one I saw everyday.

I cautiously walked back down and dad and I went to his car. Something was very off. Like, I had a really bad feeling about this.

I got in either way and he started driving. "So, how's school?"

"I graduated."

"Right. What have you been up to?"

"Not much."

"Do you miss your mother?"

"Why bring her up."

"Do you like Rose?"

"She's fine."

"We've been thinking," dad said. "And your mother and I decided that maybe... maybe we might need a break."

No.