Chapter 34: Taking Our First Test

E V A N N A

"You don't... need to follow me all the way in, you know," I told Andrew, smiling.

He cracked his knuckles, smirking. "Nah, I wanna have a little chat with that boy."

"Don't hurt him," I said.

"Do you like him?"

"My feelings are complicated."

He froze, turning to me. "So you like him?"

"I never said that."

"Stay away from boys."

"Why?"

He started walking again. "I don't want them to hurt you."

"He wouldn't hurt me."

"Sammy said that too."

I frowned. "Is that the only reason why? Because of..." It hurt just to say his name. The fact that I trusted him, then he betrayed me and acted like nothing happened, completely shutting me out of his life.

"Do you know how broken you actually were?" Andrew said. "I've heard from your brothers you were extremely upset."

"Well..."

"We don't want you going through that again. Sorry if we seem overprotective. I just really don't want you to get hurt."

I shrugged. "Taylor's different though..."

Hopefully.

We reached the classroom and Taylor was already there, setting up. "Oh, Evanna you're finally h—"

Andrew shot him a fake smile. "Hey."

"Hi," Taylor said. "You're... her brother."

"Can I have a little chat with you?"

Taylor looked at me wearily. "Does it involve me getting hurt?"

"Depends."

Taylor shrugged and walked out with Andrew. I put my backpack down and started cleaning the tables.

I heard footsteps at the door so I turned around, thinking it was Andrew or Taylor. No, I was wrong.

"So she's the one you're talking about?" A girl whispered.

"Yeah," the middle one scoffed.

The other girl rolled her eyes. "She doesn't look like much."

"Can I help you?" I asked them, trying to hide the annoyance in my voice.

"Yeah, my desk is a mess," the middle one said. "Clean it."

She pointed to one of the desks. So she was in my class. And I remember her... her name was Hannah.
But I didn't recognize the two other girls, so I guessed they were from a different class.