Chapter 16: Party and Sneaking Out

E V A N N A

"Y-you're going to the other school?" Matthew asked.

I looked at him from my desk, tapping my pencil on the table. It was Science and I told Matthew I was leaving.

"You didn't try for the test?" I asked.

Matthew sighed. "I did..."

"Did you get in?"

Matthew chuckled. "You know the school literally accepts like two kids from each school?"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "More like 5. They accept around 200 students every school year."

"200 students, about 20 middle schools here. That's like..."

I laughed. "It's taking you that long? What's 200 divided my 20?"

He hesitated so I answered, "It's 10, dummy."

Matthew shook his head. "Whatever."

"Did you get in?"

"So the school accepts like 10 students from each school? I mean, I guess it could be like 5 and 15, or 17 and 3, I guess it depends on the scores—"

"You're avoiding my question," I said. "Did you get in?"

He looked down, running his hand through his hair. "Yeah... I got in."

My eyes widened. "Really? That's great! Y-you're not happy... about it?"

"I don't even know if I can go," He muttered. "Besides, the date for coming in early passed."

"Well, you can still go after eight grade," I said.

"Yeah, but..." He sighed. "It's pretty far from my home... and my parents don't want me to go. I'll try coming in high school. Sorry..."

"No, don't be sorry," I smiled. "I understand."

He looked up at me. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you still like me?"

"Do you?" I asked.

"I don't know..."

I didn't know if I was supposed to be hurt or not because I felt the same way. I didn't know. It felt like our friendship was drifting apart, and we barely hung out. I was also focused on other things in my life, I completely forgot.

He was my first kiss, I was his first kiss.

Do I still like him?

I don't know...

"Don't you feel like we're not how we were before?" He muttered.

I sighed. "Yeah..."

"It's because of Jayden," Matthew said. "It's his fault. He keeps coming in between us, he keeps pulling you away from me. We can't even hang out because of him. He's so protective of you. God, why can he just lay off?"