Chapter 52: Two Decisions

E V A N N A

I wouldn't have believed it either if somebody told me that this fight was going to be bigger than any other fights we've ever had.

Usually I was on my brothers side, but this time, the fight was so big that I couldn't even think about choosing sides.

The fight seemed so unreal and unbelievable because it went so far.

It was worse than when my dad literally threw glass at them. It was worse than when my dad told me to go to my dead mother.

It was so much worse and it terrified me. During the entire fight I was so scared. This was the first time I've ever felt like this during a fight and I never wanted to relive that moment again.

It started as a normal day. The first week of school went by but I was still not used to getting up. My brothers had to wake me up some stupid way to get me up and going.

It was Friday and I already despised school. One thing I was excited about was the fact that today, Jayden and I promised to go hang out together. Just us two. I was so happy because I barely got time with Jayden and now we could hang out.

Every week it's gotten more and more competitive with the Ranked Tests and every single time, I saw my brothers is such a high ranking— always Top 3 in their grade.

Me, on the other hand... I was more of... what you would call a disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I even got in Top 15, but when everybody that was my friend placed higher than me it was a tiny bit disappointing.

The two smartest people though were this one boy and Mia. Dylan was a close second, and Taylor was almost right behind him. The only thing that made me feel better was that Owen was behind me and he was completely happy with placing 13th because he "guessed the entire test".

Everybody told me it was fine and honestly, I wasn't too worried about it. Once I actually got used to the school, it didn't seem so competitive unless you made it. I wanted to have fun in high school.

Also, Taylor and I established that there wasn't or there never will be anything between us. Just friends. Best friends. And he agreed.

Besides, I could tell when I first met him with Mia, he would sneak glances at her, smile randomly looking at her, and I felt like he liked her, except I didn't know if it was true.

Dylan seemed a little different. I didn't know what was going on but he didn't seem like his usual self. He was more quiet than usual, he didn't smile often and he kept checking his phone. He also stopped his rude jokes and remarks which had me even more worried.

Maybe something happened between him and Mia. Something was off between them. Mia tried to pretend Dylan didn't exist and he noticed it.

"Dylan, are you okay?" I asked him as he stared off into space.

He nodded slowly, not even looking at me. "Yeah. I'm just... worried about... Mia."

"Mia? Why?" I asked. "She seems... fine."

"Isn't she your best friend?" He asked.

"Yeah... except we haven't been hanging out recently. Over the summer we hung out a lot..."

Dylan sighed and shook his head. "Don't worry about it..."