Chapter 61: Mia's Goodbye

M I A

After homecoming ended and everyone started to go home, everything felt like a blur. The music, the loud people, the lights, the emotions I felt. It was a beautiful type of blur, where thinking of it made you smile.

I was happy I could end it that way. I didn't want anything ruining my last moment. I didn't want to face my parents or my siblings and what cruel things they could possibly say to me.

I snuck inside through my window, and as soon as I closed my window shut, I felt relieved.

Relieved that this was all going to end.

Relieved that I wouldn't have to feel sadness or pain anymore.

I changed out of my dress and stared at it. Bianca told me I could keep it and I was thankful, but a bit sad I could only wear it once. I hung it up in my closet neatly and sat down on my bed.

Everything I've done in the last few days came back to me. I did almost everything I've wanted to. Sneak out, hang out with friends, star gaze, go to homecoming... and now it was finally over.

I wasn't sad.

I wasn't sad that my life was going to end. I did everything I've wanted to. I didn't want to go any farther. That would lead to more stress and more problems with my family.

Today was the perfect day to stop everything.

I reached into my desk cabinet where I hid my pills. I always kept a handful of Benadryl in a plastic bag. I wanted to go for Ibuprofen or at least Acetaminophen but couldn't find any. This was the next best thing.

I unzipped the bag and took out one of the pills, staring at it— admiring it. This was the key to ending my suffering. I grabbed my leftover water bottle that I got from homecoming and started taking the pills, one by one.

I let out a sigh of happiness as I laid down on my bed, resting my head on my soft pillow. Everything seemed so calm... so peaceful.

At first it didn't feel like much, but I slowly started feeling sleepy and drowsy. I couldn't help but smile as a tear slowly fell from my eyes. Tears of joy. Tears of relief.

It was finally over for me.

No more pain.

No more sadness.

Nothing.

I felt myself slowly drift away— like I was fading away from this world. My body relaxed and I couldn't feel a thing. I thought of my happiest memories one last time.

I remembered the happiness that was mixed with shock when Jayden had asked me out to the dance. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have spent my last hours having the most fun I've ever had. I wish I could've thanked him in person when I had the chance.

I remembered first seeing Dylan. He was my first ever crush. I went almost my entire life without crushing on someone but he was different. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have truly known what liking someone would be like. It didn't matter that he couldn't return the same feelings. I wish I could've told him how much he changed my life in person when I had the chance.