Chapter 49: Trust Broken Twice Along With A Broken Heart

E T H A N

Her name was Michelle.

We met over the summer during one of our college field trips. We hit it off really quickly once we found out we had similar interests.

I loved her personality. She was the caring type.

After talking for a few months, we decided to go on a date. I don't want to bore people with the details that much, so this is basically how it went.

We went to a nearby flower park and sat down at one of the benches, eating the food we bought.

"I feel bad for your sister," Michelle said.

I raised my eyebrow. "Why?"

"Living with 6 boys, no other sisters..." Michelle continued. "It must be pretty hard for her. She'll never have the experience of having a sister."

"I've never had a sister until now," I said. "So it's weird. I'm not sure how I'm supposed... do this. Like... I don't know what to do."

Michelle giggled. "What do you mean?"

"My brothers and I fight by punching and, you know, but when Evanna and someone fights, it's strange. Because she cries, yells, screams, and oh god, it's really hard to calm her down," I said.

She smiled. "You guys better treat her right. By your stories, I can tell she's a sweetheart. And your job is to protect her, so you have to be there for her."

"I am," I replied. "Well, I hope so."

"But don't be too overprotective."

I sighed. "I don't think... I'm being overprotective? But I probably am. I never had a sister so she's like this one important thing I can't lose in my life and sometimes I get carried away."

"Let her make some guy friends," she said.

I laughed. "Very funny."

She rolled her eyes playfully and slapped my shoulder lightly. "No, Ethan. I'm serious. She's got to make guy friends at some point. You guys can't threaten to beat up every single guy she wants to be friends with. It's her life. Let her live a little."

"I'm worried..." I said. "The guys she's been friends with... well, most of them, she's on good terms with. But one guy hurt her really badly. Jayden's friend. And it's hard for us to see her get hurt again."

"I think that... you need to trust her. Show her that you can trust her and her own decisions," Michelle told me. "She'll be really thankful for it."

I smiled. "I will."

Michelle looked away, smiling. "It's taking me a lot but I trust you... I never open up to people but we've gotten really close over the summer."

"I'm always here to listen."

"I... really like you. Like... a lot."

"I like you too. I really like you," I told her. "You're amazing, you know?"

"I have... to tell you something important. It'll probably... change your mind about me."