Chapter 47: Family Argument

E V A N N A

I reluctantly sat down on the comfortable and cozy couch, a small, soft blanket around me. My hair was in the messiest bun, random pieces of hair sticking out everywhere. I was wearing Ethan's plain, Nike black hoodie, and red and black pajama pants. My heart was racing really fast for some reason, and I was pretty nervous.

"Okay, is everybody here?" Dad asked, sitting on the other couch. Jayden sat down next to me, my head on his shoulder and his hand on my arm. Ethan was sitting on my other side, scrolling through his phone.

Daniel for some reason was sitting on the ground on the carpet, his AirPods in his ear. Andrew and Alex were both sitting on the bean bag chairs, and Brandon was sitting on the top part of the couch, his Bose headphones on.

"So, as you all know, our family has not had the... best relationship," Dad started.

I was going to say something but Ethan beat me to it. "Do you know who's fault that is? Oh, wait—"

"It's my fault!" Mom exclaimed, sighing. "I'm so tired of you guys blaming everyone, so just blame me. It's my fault that your dad and I divorced. It's my fault that I married other people. It's my fault, okay? I'm sorry."

Everybody went silent. All I wanted to do was go to my room, snuggle in some blankets and watch movies on my laptop. I wanted to read a book or start some summer homework instead of being stuck in a dumb family meeting.

Jayden squeezed my hand. I looked up at him and smiled.

"I can't... do anything about it," Mom continued. "I feel sorry because I created this entire problem and you guys keep blaming the wrong people and I'm tired of it. Work... has become extremely complicated and I have not had time to spend it with you guys... I'm sorry... I love you all so much, but I just don't have time..."

I turned towards Brandon and he was furiously clicking on his phone volume button, making the music louder and louder until even I could hear it playing.

But nobody continued to say something.

"I wish... I wish I could've been a better parent," Mom said. "I'm so sorry... I'll try to be a better mom..."

I wanted to start laughing. Not because anything was funny, but because it hurt me. "Dad, your turn."

Everybody's head snapped to me. I didn't mean to say that out loud but I guess it just came out. I was sick and tired of my dad doing shitty things to me and other people and never apologizing. He never tried to become a better person, instead, he just blamed it on everyone.

"Let's hear your apology and how you're so sorry for being a terrible father," I said bitterly and sarcastically. "Because you care about me so much don't you?"

Dad stared at me, speechless. He pursed his lips together and exhaled deeply through his nose. "Listen... Ev, maybe... maybe if you would try to understand—"

"I will. I'm literally willing to hear you out but I can't help it..." I told him. "Your excuses are pathetic."

I could feel Jayden stifle a laugh, holding my hand tighter. Jayden squeezed my hand again for reassurance and to tell me that he was there for me, no matter what will happen.