Chapter 8: Valentine's Day

E V A N N A

"What if it's worse?" I rambled, playing with the hem of my hoodie. "What if they start bullying me even more?"

"You'll be fine, don't worry, okay? If anything goes wrong, just call me," Ethan said, stopping the car.

I sighed, nodding. "Okay..."

Ethan shot me a smile. "Have fun at school! And stay away from boys!"

I smiled back. "Bye Ethan!"

Jayden came out of the car, waving at Ethan. "Bye."

Ethan waved and drove away. I started walking to school when Jayden caught up with me.

"Matthew and I made up," Jayden said.

You're still mad at him, remember?

"That's nice," I muttered, trying to ignore him.

"We're friends now," Jayden said.

"Cool," I replied nonchalantly.

"You're not listening."

"Why should I?"

Jayden put his hands up in surrender. "Sorry..."

"Evanna!" Matthew shouted, coming up to me.

I smiled at him. "Hey..."

"Happy Valentine's Day!" He exclaimed, taking out a red box from his backpack.

As he was about to hand it to me, Jayden walked right in between us, knocking Matthew's present over.

Jayden shot him a smile. "Oops. Didn't see that there."

Matthew glared at him. "Dude—"

I picked up the gift, smiling at it. "Thanks, Matthew." I opened it and saw chocolates, along with small roses and a card.

"Chocolate, thanks!" Jayden took the box of chocolate and emptied it in his mouth.

Matthew's eyes widened and I stared in shock. A moment later, I busted into laughter. Jayden ate the mouthful of chocolate, trying not to laugh.

Matthew pointed at Jayden. "T-that... d-did you just..."

"It's okay Matthew," I said, calming down. "I don't like chocolate anyways."

"Liar, you love chocolate," Jayden said, finishing the chocolate.

Dang it, he remembered....

Matthew sighed. "That chocolate was expensive, you know. You owe me thirty-fucking-dollars."

Jayden frowned. "What? She was gonna eat it anyways!"

I put the roses in the box and took out the card. Jayden snatched it away from me, reading it.

"I like you?" Jayden scoffed, reading the card. "I hope we can—"