16 | He Loves Me Not

"You look like a baby clinging to their milk bottle,"

My brother's commented forced me to snap out of my thoughts as my eyes begin to trail down to my hands. I was clinging onto my phone like it was my life support as my fingers were clamped around the sides of the phone, my chin laid rest on the top of the black screen.

"I make one cute ass baby then," I whip up a smile for him, but it didn't greet my eyes. It couldn't; my thoughts weren't focused on perfecting the smile but instead of a debate being held in my mind at the current moment.

"If I had known our Saturday would consist of you staring at a wall while using your phone as a chin support, I probably would've hanged out with my friends instead."

"Yeah right," I slip the phone from under my chin and place it on my thighs. "You would never."

"Oh, I would," my brother flick my hand off my own bed and settle himself a seat next to me. "But I just would've never told you to your face."

"Thanks," I formed a mock smile on my lips.

"So, what's up?"

Brotherly love, everyone. One minute insulting you, the next concerned for your wellbeing.

"Obviously I was clinging to my phone like life support," Kenji replied with a roll of his eyes. "Nah. I'm just debating texting Julian."

"Oh god," My brother close his eyes as he slaps his face, "don't tell me you're still into that guy?"

"What—no!" I replied, baffled, "why does everyone think that?"

"Maybe because you had the biggest crush on him back when you were in middle?" Kenji suggests, "or, maybe it's because you looked at him longingly at the doorway?"

I bump his shoulders, "hey, can you believe your sister when she says she's over the guy?"

"No, because my sister has a tendency of saying things and not meaning them. Like, how we're supposed to hang out today when all she's doing is hanging in her room."

I blush from embarrassment, Kenji caught me, "sorry," I said, clearing my throat, "what do you want to do then?"

He fiddles with his fingers as his glaze begins to slouch to the ground. I had a feeling, whatever he wanted to do was going to be dangerous. "I was thinking... can you teach me how to drive?"

My brows furrowed together, "Kenji, you're like thirteen. You don't even own a permit yet."

"Yeah, I know. But all of my friends' parents are teaching them to drive and dad said I was too young too but I wanna learn."

"You're going to crash my car," I reasoned.

"It's old anyways," I gasp, a hand land on my heart as I forged hurt.

"It is so not," I declare, "it is a perfect age."

"Rei, the car is older than me."

"By two years okay!" I rebuttal, standing from my seating. My fingers wrapped around my phone instinctively. "And it doesn't mean it gives you the right to crash it!"

Kenji quickly mirrors my action, and remove himself from my bed as well, "please, Rei? I really wanna learn and you know I have a bit of experience before. It should be easier."

I gave him a look, "just because you played with Hot Wheels doesn't mean you're an expert, Ji."

His eyes melted into a puppy-style as his hands clamped together in a begging position. I sigh, giving in, "fine," I declare, glancing to the other direction as I sensed the immersive joy radiating off of my little brother. "But I'm telling you, if you crash my car, I would obliterate you."