64 | He Loves Me Not

The getaway was only days ago, yet it felt like a lifetime.

We're back on the tracks of education, and comes with the high calls of school, comes the impossible requirement to wake up. However, despite being usually cranky during the rise of the early bird, I actually wanted to go to school today.

It didn't take an idiot to figure out why.

I smile widely as Julian had texted me a good morning from his cell. I've been staring at the grey message for the past ten minutes, letting out little squeals and cheers of disbelief.

My life is going good for once.

Once I had came home; at the strike of eleven, I woke my brother up from his deep slumber to tell him all about my trip. I told him about the jealousy that stirred between Gabriel and Julian, I told him about the kiss and the bonfire. Even though Kenji was one-eyed closed as he listened to my story, he offered up the best smile he could muster and nod his head at small cue mark to allow me to continue.

In return, I asked him how it was with mom still being in the house and how was the four days without me felt.

"Everything is normal. Mom tried to talk to me a couple of times, trying to bond but I would always decline. I've mostly been in the living room playing video games or on my computer."

The car beeped from the outdoor and I look up from my phone. Not a second later, Graham texted me to get my ass out of the house or he isn't driving me.

I had my car. He has his. He just offered a ride.

And with the love of staying in that BMW, I accepted. 

I quickly scramble to get everything in order; my phone in my bag, my backpack carrying all of my books for the needed day and slipping on the last of my shoes. I head downstairs, finding my father at the breakfast table with my mother, conversing loudly.

"—why can't we just come to an agreement?"

"Because I don't want to—I can do what I want. I want Kenji, I don't want to split our time together, you've had him for fourteen years. Give me the last four."

"What you're asking is not just our son, you're asking for—"

Another beep from outside the car caused their conversation to abruptly stop. I tear my glaze away, and head out of the house, not wanting them to know I was listening in to their conversation nor wanting to have a conversation with my mother.

The familiar black BMW parked in my driveway as Graham's hand on the steering wheel centre. He gives me a hurry-up look and I only offer him a smile, taking my time to the passenger's seat.

"Finally," he mumbles as he waited for me to secure in my seatbelt. I did without being told, and as he pulls out of the driveway; instead of making the turn towards the school, he took the opposite direction.

I turn my head back to see the road towards the school becoming more distant. "Um, Graham, I know you don't have a best sense of direction, but the school is—"

"I know," he cuts me off, shaking his head. "I'm just going to pick up Rose."

"Oh," I return back into my seat, nodding. "I didn't know we're picking her up."

"I thought we might as well get the whole gang, y'know?" He said shortly, ending the conversation right there. I turn to my best friend, finding his eyes focused ahead on the road as his brows furrowed together in concentration. I swallow.

"Is, um, everything okay?" I ask, causing Graham to send a glimpse towards my direction for a split second before returning to the road ahead.

He nods, wordlessly answering my question as I popped another one. "Is it family?"