13 | He Loves Me

When I woke up, the pillow behind me didn't feel as comfortable as I'm used to. I begin to touch around my surroundings, finding the reason for my uncomfortable pillow onto to feel a hard head support. My eyes snapped open, revealing up to a room that was not my own.

My eyes scan from the window to the TV station before finally clicking at the portraits photos left near the TV base. Why am I at Julian's house?

The notecards piled back in a neat stack when the connection clicked and I let out a realisation sound. I notice a blanket wrapped around my body, the thick wool material reminded me of Japanese blankets my grandma would bring from Japan.

My phone placed neatly at the coffee table, I lean my body over to grab the cellular device with the tip of my fingers and checked the time. 8:23PM.

I rub my head, sighing, I've been here since five, what the fuck?

"Ah, you're awake," footsteps walking over as I found Julian's figure hovering over my own. "Get a good nap?"

"Could've been better in a bed, but yeah, it was alright," I nod, beginning to drape the blanket off my body as the cool air surrounds my legs. I pull myself up into a sitting position, turning to Julian as he holds out a water bottle in my direction.

"Next time, I'll carry you to my bed then," Julian declares. I chuckle, but didn't reply as I chug down the bottle.

"Sorry I fell asleep," I apologises, finishing the last drops of the water. "I guess I was more tired than I anticipated."

"It's okay we barely gotten anywhere so it's not that much of a lost."

"Where's Apollo?" I switch conversation, the sudden reminder of the lost of barking that surrounded the air.

"He's at the park with Cee; they've been at it for a couple hours now."

"Oh," I check the time on my phone once more as it begins to crawl close to the nine. I sigh, getting up, "thank you for letting me sleep on your couch for a bit, but I think Imma head home for now. Dinner and sleep off, you know."

"Understandable," Julian begins to walk out of the living room and towards the front as I begin to follow. My first step leading out and expected the impact of soft carpet when I touch base with a paper. I look down to see a stray notecard tucked underneath my feet. Bending down, I pick it up to see it was the same notecard that fell from my fingertips. "Francena?"

Snapping out of the examination, I quickly followed behind Julian with the car keys in my hand and my phone with the notecard in the other. I follow Julian towards the front door, where I left my shoes and him opening up the wooden door for me to exit.

Stopping in front of Julian, I turn to him as my head tilted up to meet his light brown eyes. "I'm starting to think I'm not the best at this job; I mean two days of analyse and nothing. Zip."

Julian chuckles, "don't beat yourself up about it—"

"I'm not."

"—it's hard. We both know that," Julian shot me a look and I simple shrug. "I rather it you helping me with the notecards than anyone else."

I didn't know why, but with his words, a sudden jolt inside of me felt of excitement. I came the conclusion quickly and tame the feeling inside of me. I didn't trust myself to reply and instead, slip on my shoes and exit out of the house.

"See you at school!" Julian shouts just as I was about to enter my car. I nod, giving him a backhand salute and hopped into the car, throwing my things to the passenger's seat as I exit out of the driveway and away from the cause of my feelings.