41 | He Loves Me

Ms Wilkins takes the lecture a bit off-course once again and I sigh as I glance over to the clock as the second hand ticks down slowly.

Three more minutes.

"...don't forget students, today is the last day to turn in your permission forms for the seniors' gateway trip. It doesn't matter when you turn it in, as long as it in the office by the end of the school day." I resume back to reality as I found myself entering back into the lecture as she spits in some reminders.

I turn those paper in with Graham like, three months ago.

The bell finally rang and I pick up my backpack with ease; I was starving, and needed to go to the cafeteria as soon as possible before my own hunger eats me.

"Francena," Ms Wilkins grabs my attention as I tried to make a dash for the door. I stopped, the sole of my shoes screeched against the rubber concrete. I turn to my favourite teacher, smiling charmingly as I tame down the hunger ravaging inside of me.

"Yes, Ms Wilkins?" I query, politely.

"Your paper on feminism," she push her curly hair out of her face. I shifted the weight on my leg to the other, "it was brilliant. Creatively exploited and plotted. I understood every bit of the information."

"That's good, right?" I smile, a happy thought bypass me as I believe I could have an A on that paper. I did work hard on it.

"Yes it is," she stops, "but feminism, despite the importance of it, is not a passion. I wanted to expand your mind, and allow you to grasp an idea but main importantly, something you could see yourself doing in the future. Feminism is needed, but it's not paid."

I frown, "so that means I failed?"

"No, no, that's not what I was implying," she shakes her head, "it's great and you still made a good mark on the paper, and I'll let it slide, but you have to focus on your future. I looked into your portfolio and I seen that you have never filled out the future career section on any of your years." 

I scratch the back of my head, "...yeah. I really thought I had more time."

"And you do!" She reminds, "but I would rather you go into a college, knowing what courses and major to attend to than to mindlessly follow through a couple of years and switch. It's important to know your career now. Excuse me if I'm pressing on it too much."

"No, it's fine," I shake off her worries, "and yeah. You're right."

"Have you got any classes you're really into right now? Any classes that you actual could see a career in?"

"Well, I dislike English so anywhere in the English department where I have to remember the correct forms of conjugations and figurative languages is a no. I'm into forensics, but I can't see myself as a career in the CSI department. I'm okay with math being apart of my career but I cannot solely focus on math. History is boring because of all its directives on victimising the white males — so, this class and economics is a good go."

She chuckles, "glad to see my appreciation." She smiles, "so, maybe somewhere in the psychological mindset. Therapist? Psychiatrist?"

The conversation between Julian and me played in the back of my head — I jokingly said I would become a therapist for him and he actually think I could do it. I chuckle.

"What? Is something funny?"

"Huh? Oh–no! I was just thinking of something my friend said," I explain, but seeing the end of this conversation. "Well, thank you for your advice, Ms Wilkins. I'll surely keep it in mind."