66 | He Loves Me Not

I sat across the room from Julian during first hour.

He was accompanied by, of course, Tasha; with her hanging her arms around him. Nine out of the ten times I've seen them together, Tasha has hooked her arms around in a way to portray to the rest of the world that Julian is hers; Julian is taken.

I would be lying if I didn't felt a wave of sorrow that crossed me through the day just by a glance of their direction. I contemplated switching classes out of his but I'm reminded by two things: he's having more of an effect on me than I should be letting on, and I shouldn't let a boy dictated what education I should be getting.

Mr Patterson is explaining something about forensics and I tried hard to concentrate on the man's words without feeling the need to zone out and stare. I knew Mr Patterson would target me once I do so—having been the one to call his ass out a little too often, he would gladly return the favour.

I wrote down Mr Patterson's exact words; my handwriting coming out scrambles and messy as his words falls out faster and stronger. He takes a break to switch slides, allowing us to have a glimpse of the information before beginning to go in dept.

"Now class," Mr Patterson finishes off, closing off the PowerPoint as he turns back to us. His eyes scanning over us for a moment before landing on me, "Miss Nakamura, you seem quiet today."

I gulp, finding the attention drawn back onto me. My classmates begins to follow their multi-coloured eyes over to my figure as I felt one I've been ignoring. Julian is staring from the corner of my eye, and his eyes intensity on me, trying to grab my attention.

"Nothing to say, sir," I declare, playing with the chain of my necklace.

"That's new," Mr Patterson concludes, "is everything alright?"

I was taken back from his words, having never heard him ask about my wellbeing. I thought, being the most one to criticise his teaching style and his favourism, he would care less about what's going on with me.

I nod, hesitant at first before nodding again. "Yes sir, I'm fine."

"That's good," he hums, "I need someone to talk back to me once and a while—the classroom gets very dry when you're quiet."

That made me smile, and I nod again, "will do."

The bell rings and Mr Patterson gathers himself off of the desk and behind it. He opens and exits about an online assignment due by next class period and that we should be studying up for our finals coming soon. I shove my notebook into my backpack, slinging the book over my shoulders as I begin to walk towards the door.

"Francena..." I recognise the voice immediately, and turn to see Julian in front of me. "We need to talk—"

"Babe!" Tasha grabs a hold of Julian and pulls him away from me, towards the teacher as Tasha begins to dig into a series of question regarding her education courses and finals. I follow my eyes to them, as Tasha holds Julian besides her and Julian sending me a pleading look.

I haven't been replying back to his texts or calls. I've been ignoring all of them.

I shifted my expression into a passive look, not revealing anything behind my features nor my eyes—which holds the most emotions of them all. I turn away, heading to my next class as I felt another pang of pain through my chest.

"—I still can't believe it," Iris announces, after revealing that she owns a class with Julian and Tasha. "I mean, who goes back to their ex-girlfriend on first instant?"

I remain quiet, examining my fingernails to drag me away from my thoughts. I focus on the cuticles, the nail bed itself and trying to find interesting into something mundane as my hands. I have one, two, three, four, five—