47 | He Loves Me

The Monday came faster that I expected, because it's currently 7:37AM in the morning, and my father is throwing my sheets off my body and onto the floor to announce my need for departure in less than thirty minutes.

Bonus: he doesn't allow me to drive myself to school this week, or the next week for the matter. In fact, he called Graham to drive to school. Graham.

After finishing to get cleaned up for school, pairing myself with dress-code appropriate clothing, (aka, another word for shaming girls' clothing over boys), I heard my father announce Graham's arrival downstairs.

"Reileen, Graham's here!" I checked my phone to see 7:55AM on the screen. I sighed. His dumb punctuated, always-on-time ass.

Given that I've been home for a week and somewhat grown accustom to the baby treatment of sleeping in and no longer required to wake up at seven am to go to school, speeding to get ready; it became a problem.

I'm dashing out of my room, grabbing my necessaries and backpack, going over mental notes about my needed items for school. I take the swim bag across my wrist, and head down. "Coming!" I rush, seeing my father settled at the end of the staircase. "Bye dad." I kiss him on the cheek before heading out of the door, not attempting to say my usual goodbyes to my little brother due to the fact that's he is already in school.

I headed out, walking up to the familiar BMW when Iris' face popped up in the backseat. She waves at me.

He decided to pick up the whole gang.

I hopped into my usual seat in the front, "you do realise that you're ten minutes earlier than the time you're supposed to be, right?"

He reverses out of the driveway, touching bases with the road, "when one of your best friend's father personally calls you up to tell you to come pick up your best friend, while not liking you, you gotta be more than one time."

Iris laughs from the backseat, while I tried to shake off the slight hint of a smile on my face.

A sudden thought occurred to me, forcing me to turn around to face both of them within my view, "this Saturday is gonna be our second to last swim meet, are you guys coming? It's regionals."

Iris shakes her head, "can't," she replied, a frown and a sympathetic look on her features, "the clinic is hosting their annual charity fund for the kids, and I have to be there all day to help them." I frown, but knowing it was a good cause, I didn't let my emotions show.

"I'll try to swing by later, but I don't know for sure though," I said, and Iris formed a bright smile. I turn to my other best friend.

"Can't," he said, his eyes focused on the road as he allowed no emotion to bypass their face. His words hit me a bit harder, as Graham always attempts to come to my swim meet, "the family is hosting a dinner and they're forcing me to attend. I'm going to be out-of-state during the weekend."

"How is that going to work with your family?" Iris butted, turning her focus onto our brunet friend, "you guys haven't had a dinner together in years."

"Yeah, well, Dad had some meeting with some clients and wants to show off the big ol' Riveras as a picture perfect." He said through a strained tone, "apparently this client is very important so my dad needs everyone to be there. Sharp."

"Are you going to be okay? With them?" I ask, concerned. Graham and his family doesn't mix well, even through blood and skin; Iris and I are more considered his 'family' than anything.

"I have to, don't I?" His voice daunting, his knuckles growing white as he clenches onto the steering wheel, "I mean, even as a second-rated son, I have to."