52 | He Loves Me Not

I woke up groggy, my eyes barely able to break their seal as the burning sunlight enters into my bedroom. My body feels a warm comfort, soft and cushioned as I look down to see myself covered in my blanket. I notice that underneath, I was still wearing my clothes from yesterday—barely changed.

Then, I remembered.

Graham.

Eyes popped out of their sockets, as I ripped the blanket off of my body. Eyes scanning the room, I noticed that Graham was nowhere to be seen and a small covering blocking my vision. Crossed-eyed, I look up and notice a sticky note plastered on my forehead like a bulletin board. I pull off the yellow paper, reading the inscription.

A small smile on my face as I reached the end of his note

A small smile on my face as I reached the end of his note. I look around my room, noticing everything is right in order and nothing seemingly out of place. That being, the window is cracked slightly.

I glance at the clock, finding that it was 7:23AM and that Graham had probably already left for his flight. I frown, hoping he manages through the weekend as I begin to pray for my own problems; it's Friday, my swim meet is this afternoon and I happen to need to face Julian again after finding and absorbing all the newfound information the other day.

My father bursts into my bedroom, adding to the situation, just as my alarm on my phone goes off. I woke up earlier today, I don't know why, but I'm betting it is because Graham left the curtains wide open when he left.

"What are you doing?" He notices me just staring, my hand holding the note on one hand as I stood in the middle of the room. "Why aren't you getting ready for school?"

My bones stiff, as I didn't get to heal overnight from the other day's swim practise. "I'm tired," I explained, feeling the sinking feeling in my chest. It grows at the thought of coming in front of Julian, "can I just skip school today?"

"No," he said sternly, "you have your swim meet today."

The regret of telling my family everything builds up, and I groan. "I just wanna stay home," I complained, pouting my lips.

"Reileen, up and get ready for school!"

"And who's going to drive me?" I tilt my head to the side, challenging my father. The occurrence that Graham is gone and Iris is off comes back in reminders, "Graham is gone, and Iris is off for her charity event and you took my keys the other day!"

"That's because you left the house without asking me for your keys!" He rebuttals, crossing his arms. He sighs, "you can use your car today. I'll give it to you when you finished getting ready."

I frown, knowing there's no more excuses to stay in this hollow room anymore. My father turns his heel to leave the room as I carry myself over to my closet; deciding on casual attire today. Sweats and a plain red tee.

Once I changed and did all my skincare, it was eight already. I took my phone off the charger, and headed downstairs to see my father waiting for me at the end of the stairs once more. "I was just checking when you'll leave," he explains and I nod. He holds out a pair of silver keys, and I take them from his hand.