82 | He Loves Me Not

Not counting the last chapter's clue, who thought it was Jaycee? (be honest)

Jaycee's eyes zoomed in on the note in my hands, and she immediately tense

Jaycee's eyes zoomed in on the note in my hands, and she immediately tense. Her grip on the wooden door tightens, and she sends a look over to her brother before returning to me.

"I-I can explain," Jaycee said slowly, finding no use in denying the claim. I gave her a raised brow, but her eyes weren't concerned with me—it was with her brother. "And it's not some like disgusting reason behind the whole thing."

We didn't reply, as Jaycee bit her lower lip and moves to the side. She opens up the door a bit wider for us to enter, and taking it like a vampire's requirement to be invited, I enter into the familiar house. Julian followed in suit, crowding beside me this time.

I hear light barking coming from the outside, and declared it was Apollo. As much as I miss the dog, I needed answers.

"Do you want to sit down or—"

"Cee," her brother reminds and she inhale deeply before nodding.

"Why did you do it?" I ask, finding the waiting period too thick, too long to hold onto. I knew Jaycee since she was a freshman, adapted and adopted to her like a sister. I've never considered her to even be Miss Incomplete's copycat. It would've been too disturbing at first, but finding out later that the copycat is only trying to expose me—what was she trying to do?

"Which part?" She asks quietly.

"What was the point in doing it? What was your end goal? Why were you trying to expose me? How?" I rebuttal without skipping a beat, a hand raised out to empathise my confusion.

She lowers her eyes, finding the floor. She exhales slowly. "I'll answer it in order then," she mumbles quietly. She sucks in another breath before meeting my eye—not her brother.

"Jay was upset, still clinging over his ex like a lost toy. No matter what direction or how I tried to push him to move on, he wouldn't. He would never listen to me. I got upset, but I also wanted the next person he would attempt to date be better than Tasha. To not hold such a grip on him. I thought long and hard about who Jay should date and since I knew you, and you were in the same grade as my brother, I thought you were a good match. You're sweet, kind, and you are too much of a good person to put Jay through what she put him through." She explains, eyes searching mine to find any hint of forgiveness. Her lips pouted at the end. "Second question."