09 ✧ warm wishes, S

Letter recap:

Thank you, your words mean the world. But sometimes it's hard, ya know? To not worry about what others think. Which honestly sucks because it's like I've become too dependent on their validation that I lose my worth. But I'm working on that, and really, you and your words are helping me get there and I really appreciate it.

✧*

He watches, the slow, steady rising and falling of his boyfriend's chest. And he could tell, that every breath his lover takes is a struggle, and it kills him, seeing like this. Tubes are injected into his arms and a pair up his nose to aid his breathing. And his skin, his skin is pale, ghastly, matching the ugly white colour of the hospital sheets. And his usual pink lips are now chapped, dry, and almost white.

He envelopes his hands over his lover's limp ones. "We're far from being the perfect couple. Hell, our first encounter was already a huge mess. And along the way, we've had lots of ups and downs to get to where we are now. And truth to be told, there were more downs than ups..."

A breathy chuckle leaves his lips, a wistful glint in his eyes.

"But all our ups and downs, everything that we have, it's so worth it, baby. So, so worth it." He gives the colder hand in his a gentle squeeze, pressing a kiss on the back of it gently.

"And I don't want to have what we have, with anyone else, ever. Because you just... you complete me and I know that I complete you too. Because I understand and know you better than anyone out there, and you the same with me. Even if at the beginning we only truly knew each other through pen and paper, we were perfect. We still are."

An uncomfortable lump forms in his throat, and he had to do everything in him to swallow it down so he can speak.

He unfolds the next letter, then reads it out loud;

"Dear Harry,
You don't have to thank me, really. But I do understand how you feel...

・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*✧

But I do understand how you feel— not worrying about what people think. But I've come to learn that there's a difference between worrying about what others think, and caring about what others think. If you worry about what they think, like what you've written, you become too dependent on their validation and you eventually lose your self-worth. But if you care, it means that you respect their opinions, and you'd want to better yourself. But really, sometimes what you just need to focus on, is yourself; because you're a work in progress in becoming the best version of yourself. It was just a little something I learned back when I almost hit my rock bottom.

I know you'll get there some day.

Warm wishes.

P.s I'm glad we're on the same page about peri peri chicken.

P.p.s Harry, no hard feelings, but for now, I'd just like to only reveal that I'm —

Niall stops writing his note, then purses his lips as he thinks of what initials he should sign off with.

NH is too obvious. Ni is obviously out of the question.