41 ✧ stuffed toys and happiness

I'm so sorry this is so lateeee but uni life is so hectic. I'm only in my second week and I already feel like dropping out :')))) ✌🏻

・゚

"Hey baby." He greets happily as he enters the hospital room the next morning.

"Look what I brought for you." He smiles to himself, then holds up the yellow stuffed toy of a rubber ducky even though, his unconscious boyfriend, clearly, can't see.

"I thought it'd help you feel better. You know, liven up the room a little." He says, then places the soft toy by the side of his head.

He smiles, then kisses the head of his boyfriend lovingly, a surge of hope simmering through his veins and warming his heart.

And with the small, innocent contact of his lips pressed against his cold skin, he still feels the electricity, still feels the spark. He knows things are going to get better, he just knows it.

✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚

The hospital corridor is stuffy and the air has an undertone of bleach, the floor is slate grey and the walls an ivory white. Harry pulls his eyes from the highly polished linoleum floor to the laminated wooden door, legs bouncing up and down in anticipation, in nervousness.

The last couple of weeks has passed by in a blur, and something that Harry has been dreading for those past few weeks is finally here and he can't help but feel the trepidation in his heart— his first chemo session.

He twists his fingers in his lap, fiddling with the sleeves of his jumper, wiping the sweat off his palms. Panic seeps into his system, and all the reasons not to do this starts flooding in.

Three minutes.

He has been sitting in this darn plastic chair for a mere three minutes waiting for Dr Eric and he's already shitting his pants.

Where is Niall?

He never knew he needed the comfort of his boyfriend this badly up till this moment. If anything, it only makes him more appreciative of the blonde.

"Mr Styles?" A voice which he knows he has to get used to speaks up. "Come on in, everything's set up."

The sigh that leaves Harry's dry lips is slow and heavy, as if his brain needed that time to process what's about to happen.

He drags himself across the short distance towards the door of the room, looking over his shoulder and to the waiting area, hoping to see the flash of blonde head dashing in.

He wants Niall.

He tries not to look at the other patients who are doing their chemo too for that will only worsen his nervousness.

The doctor leads him over to the spot right by the end. "Take a seat, Harry." He gestures to the large seat which has green faux leather cushioning from the back rest down to the arm rest. Positioned next to it, is the large white machine which is Harry's worst nightmare.

"Is Niall not joining you today?" The doctor asks, obviously trying to alleviate Harry's nerves, obviously to no avail because the whole point that Niall isn't here is what's making him freak out even more.

"He's running a little late." Harry tells him glumly as he tries to make himself as comfortable as possible in the chair. "He was working in the morning then he has to submit something for his assignments."

"I see, no worries. Would you like to wait for him or shall we go ahead?" The doctor asks as he starts plugging in some IV tubes into the machine.