40 ✧ a second chance

"I'm sure. I'm very sure." He nods hurriedly. "I clearly felt his finger move. Please check on him?" He begs desperately, tugging on the sleeve of the doctor's white coat.

"We will, son. The doctors are already setting up some tests for him." The doctor reassures, patting the lad's hand. "Don't worry yeah? Just a little scan to check for his brain activity."

"Okay, okay, okay." He nods, a little too quickly, making him look like he had a little too much caffeine in his system.

"But this is good, right?" He asks with a forced, hopeful smile. "That I felt the smallest of nudge from him? That means he can hear me? That he knows what's going on?"

"If you really did feel it, then yes, lad, of course. So never give up hope, yeah? He's going to be okay."

He wants to scowl at the doctor's doubtful tone but he knows what he felt. He felt the nudge. He felt the damn spark, the electricity in his veins.

Despite the beating of the heart machine, despite the frail, cold body of his boyfriend on the bed, he can't help but feel an exceptional amount of hope bubbling pin his heart, can't help but feel an exceptional amount of hope shining through.

✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚

Niall gives Harry's hand a little squeeze, flashes him a reassuring smile before pulling him in for a short kiss.

Harry wraps his arms tightly around Niall's frame, nestling his face in Niall's neck. The feeling of Niall's body so close to his, soothed him more than he had expected.

Niall holds on tight, so very tight, every ounce of him pressed to every ounce of Harry, body melting into Harry's as every muscle in his body loses tension, the rest of the world melting away.

He snuggles his face deeper into Niall's neck, so close he could feel the faint beating of Niall's pulse by his jugular. And that's the only thing Harry needs to stay alive— Niall's beating heart, his existence. It's all that makes him genuinely happy. And maybe love isn't an emotion after all. It's Niall's very existence.

"It's going to be okay, darling." Niall soothes, resting his head against Harry's, running a hand through his hair lovingly.

Harry's heart flutters, before he gives a small nod, tightens his arms around Niall by a fraction, before slowly pulling away.

"Come on, let's not keep them waiting, yeah?" Niall smiles, gently taking Harry's hand in his again.

Harry only nods, smiling weakly before allowing Niall to lead them out of his bedroom and to the kitchen where his father had just arrived ten minutes ago.

"Hello Mr Styles." Niall greets with a kind smile, coming into the kitchen slash dining area, pulling Harry along to stand next to him. Harry instinctively steps behind Niall, wanting to sought the comfort and protection from Niall. Which is a little strange, of course, since Niall's slightly smaller frame couldn't hide him even if he tried.

"Niall, I told you to call me Desmond." The man smiles kindly, and behind his grey-green eyes, Harry can see the nervousness, the tension, and he's pretty sure Niall senses it too.

"Hi Harry." The man greets after his dark green eyes have landed on Harry, the eyes so similar to Harry's.

"Hey..." Harry mumbles, awkwardly flashing a small smile that seems more like a grimace more than anything. He nervously scratches the back of his neck, not knowing what else to say.