29 ✧ fear in our hearts

hello beautiful people! Can I just say that you guys are so cute and lovely, and I just, I love you all 😭💖

*°•*

"You know how we always talked about happiness?" He speaks softly.

"I think I finally understand... about happiness coming from ourselves and not having to search for it. I've come to realise that to be happy doesn't mean to not have a sky without a storm. But instead, to be happy is to find strength in forgiveness, hope in battles, security in the fear, and love in discord."

He swallows down the lump in his throat, blinking back the brimming tears. "And... maybe that's why... even with all... this," he gestures to all the machines hooked up to his boyfriend's body.

"I can find that ray of happiness because what we have, my love, it's something that no one can take away from us, something that we can never find in somebody else. And that's something to be happy about, no? That we've found a love that's once in a lifetime."

✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚

"Mr Styles, I don't mean to scare you or anything, but it says here that two years ago you suffered from brain cancer? And that horrible migraine and the aching body— they could be signs that your cancer came back."

The blood from Niall's face drains, his body stiffens and his heart stops. His brain stutters for a moment and every part of him goes on pause while he tries to let the doctor's words sink into his mind. And Harry? His expression remains calm, but his mind is racing, heart beating through his ears.

Instinctively, Niall blindly reaches over to Harry's hand, slotting their fingers together, giving it a tight squeeze.

"I can't tell a hundred percent whether the cancer is really back, these are only common symptoms. So we're gonna have to do a full body CT scan just to be sure and that'll take you a couple of days." The doctor explains, pushing his silver rimmed glasses up his nose.

"I'll let you two talk about it, and I'll come back in about half an hour with some paper work." He continues when he realises that the two boys are still in shock.

Even when the doctor has left, the two lads are still silent, simply clutching onto each other's hands like their lives depend on it.

Harry's the first to release a shaky exhale, using his free hand to run through his hair.

"So, you hungry? We can go grab something to eat. You haven't had your breakfast." He points out, catching Niall completely off guard.

The blonde wants to speak, voice out anything at all, anything related to whatever the doctor just said, because how the hell is Harry so calm about this?

But maybe Niall's still trying to process the news, maybe the shock is a blow to his head. Or maybe, he just wants to pretend like the past five minutes didn't happen at all. So he simply nods stiffly, putting on a grim smile.

"Breakfast sounds good." He could barely whisper out.

Harry nods, smiling weakly before gently patting Niall's thigh twice. He gets the message and swings his legs off the bed, standing and rolling his shoulders back to release some of the aching tension in his muscles.