46 ✧ never letting go

"I don't think I've ever felt more pain than on the day I received the news." He whispers, not having a single drop of tear left in him. He has cried it all out.

"I've been through cancer twice. And all those chemo sessions, all the painful and sickening side effects, none of them compare to the pain I've felt knowing what happened to you."

He swallows the lump down in his throat. "People always say to let go of the things that cause you pain, to let it hurt and then to let it go. Everyday I see you on this bed, it pains my heart like no other, but how? How can I? How can I just let you go? For I'm sure, letting go of you is more painful than anything I'll ever feel."

✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚

"If the congregation has any objections to why this couple cannot be lawfully joined together in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

And it's in that unfortunate moment that Harry's phone starts vibrating in his dress pants.

He ignores it for now, because this is practically the most important part in Gemma's life and he can't miss it for a phone call. Harry's just glad his phone is on silent.

"Alright then, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." The priest says with a kind smile, and Michael, Gemma's now newly wed husband, takes Gemma's face in his hands, pulling her in for a sweet kiss.

Harry's the first to stand amongst the crowd, clapping and cheering loudly for his sister, a proud, indestructible  grin on his face.

One day. One day that's going to be him and Niall.

After countless of photos and congratulations, they move on to the reception which now only consists of family members and close friends.

"So why couldn't Niall tag along again?" Shawn asks, popping the last bit of the tiny sandwich into his mouth. "Because of an assignment? He does know that he already has a place on your dad's art team right?"

"Yeah," Harry lets out a breathy chuckle. "But he said he doesn't want people thinking he can get away with things just because my dad is his future boss and all that ya know?" He explains, a fond smile playing on his lips.

"Oh no, you have the look again." Shawn playfully groans, gesturing to Harry's face.

"What?" Harry raises a brow.

"When you have love juices pouring out of your eyeholes."

Harry rolls his eyes at how childish his step brother is, though he can't help the growing grin on his lips.

"Shut up. Anyway, how's you and Liam? All good?" He asks, changing the topic in hopes of stopping the blush from creeping up his cheeks.

"We're really good actually, taking things slow." The younger lad tells him with a small smile. "Anyway, just gimme a sec, I wanna get more egg rolls, you want more?" He offers, pointing to Harry's now empty plate.

"Nah, I'm good." Harry waves it off.

"Alright, I'll be right back."

Harry nods, shooing his brother off, before pulling out his phone to busy himself. And as he does so, he's surprised to see four missed calls displayed on his phone, all from the same unknown number.

He frowns in confusion, but decides to ring the number back anyway. If only he knew how much things would change in seconds.

*