34 ✧ one day

"Hey hun, how're you holding up?" His boyfriend's mother asks gently as she walks into the room with a bundle of balloons.

He remembers how the room used to be filled with get well soon balloons, hampers, bouquets of flowers from friends and family. Then, the balloons deflated, the flowers died, and he still hasn't woken up. It got to the point where it was just useless since he can't appreciate the good-intended gifts he was given.

And now with the bundle of blue and green balloons, it brings some sort of joy, some sort of hope in the otherwise dreary room. They kinda match their respective eyes too, and that thought makes him happy.

"I'm okay." He mumbles, nodding as he sighs, standing up to let the lady take a seat on the chair. He sits on the bed, holding his boyfriend's cold hand between his on his lap.

As if knowing he's lying, the mother reaches out to put her hand atop of their entwined ones, giving it a gentle squeeze.

For some reason, the warmth of her hand brings tears to his eyes.

"Oh hun, shhh..." She soothes, standing from her spot and wrapping her arms lovingly around his shoulder.

"Things will get better, everything is going to be okay." She mumbles.

But the lad only shakes his head. "What if it doesn't? What if he stays like this forever?"

"I know you're hurting, but have some faith in him, love. My son's never gonna leave you, I know that for certain. It never rains forever, yeah? These moments of sadness are just here to show us how wonderful the good moments in life are. Everything heals, trust me on that."

✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚*✧*・゚*✧・゚*✧・゚

Finally the day they've been dreading is here and Harry can't halt the dread ebbing and weighing down in his gut. He finds himself biting on his lip, knees bouncing up and down anxiously. The smell of chemically infused disinfectant and machines beeping and whirring doesn't help the nerves.

"I know you're nervous, but please calm down, pet." Niall soothes, gently framing Harry's face between his hands.

"As attractive as you look biting your lip, you're making it bleed, love." A light chuckle leaves Niall's lips as he lets his thumb run over Harry's now sore bottom lip.

Harry releases his lip from between his teeth, before licking the smudge of blood off his bottom lip. He sighs shakily, atop of his nervousness, guilt stains his heart as he sees the worry flooding Niall's blue eyes.

"Sorry for worrying you." Harry mumbles. Niall smiles kindly, leaning his forehead against Harry's, brushing their noses together.

"You don't have to apologise for anything, pet'l." He whispers, shaking his head, pulling away from him so he can look into Harry's green eyes better.

"I can't promise that everything's going to be okay," Niall starts, gently pushing back some of Harry's curls off his face, tucking the longer strands behind his ears.

"But I do promise to be here, okay? By your side, all the time. You can count on that." The icy blues in Niall's eyes are sparkling like glaciers, yet they carry the warmth and life of a sun, holding everything that Harry's soul yearns for.

The faintest of smile lifts onto Harry's lips, and everything that he's feeling, it's magical.

"You know, falling in love with you might most possibly be the best thing that has ever happened to me." Harry whispers, smile widening. And it's true, he doesn't know how he got through life before he met Niall.