Chapter 45

Jessica's POV

SWEETENER THE ALBUM IS OUT! I'm so excited to have my fourth studio album out into the world to share with everyone. This album is by far these most meaningful to me. I'm doing what I did for the release of Dangerous Woman, making videos for my Instagram with descriptions of each song.

I hope everyone enjoys this album as much as I do.

"We start off the album with Raindrops, which is a cover of "An Angel Cried" by The Four Seasons. It's a tribute to my grandpa, who really loved this song. I know he's always watching over me, and I'm sure he's listening from up above."

"Working with Pharrell was a mother fucking blast. Blazed was one of the first if many we did together. It was an honor getting to work with someone who wrote songs grew up with like Hollaback Girl & Hot In Herre, which Justin & I got down to at our wedding. We spent weeks creating some really great music & I can't wait to be back in the studio with him."

"The Light is Coming....it's just a fucking bop, honestly. The light has come and took all of the darkness. Dance to it & have the time of your lives. Forget about all the negitive times and live in the moment. And of course, working with Nicki again was amazing. We also have another new song together called "Bed", on her album, so go check that out."

"One night I just couldn't fuckin sleep and I met up with Pharrell at the studio & he showed me one of his old tracks, called R.E.M..I rewrote some of the lyrics to fit my own personal experience. The part where it says "Excuse me, um, I love you. I know that's not a way to start conversation, trouble.", Reminds me of how I would have met justin on the streets when I was a belieber. I definitely would have gone up to him like "Hey um don't wanna bother you but I love you, k bye." When we were in Monte Carlo, Layla would always be saying she's "Trying to turn two single people into a couple" when she would be encouraging me to go along with everything & to hang with Justin, so that's a little shoutout to her. I would always catch myself saying to Justin, "You're such a dream to me." & I thought it fit perfectly in the song. The whole song means so much to me, as it's about my favorite person in the entire world. Its definitely my favorite on the album.

"So this one, Justin inspired, obviously. One time after we had sex, he was like "If God was a woman, it would be you." and I said, "Who says God isn't a woman?", so literally right after, we got into the studio and wrote it. So yeah, um...like the song says god is a fucking woman, it's an empowering song for woman because we should all feel confident in our own selves. We are all fucking great, no matter what size, sexuality, skin color, religion, race, etc. We are just as powerful as what we know to be the male God. This song is also for the guys, because we'll give them the greatest sex of their lives, and when all is said & done, they'll believe that yeah, we're fucking Goddesses."

"Surprise, surprise, another song about Justin. Sweetener, the title track, one other I did with Pharrell, is the most fun. I've already seen you guys compare to Bop It, which is accurate. If you're wondering what "lick the bowl" means, it's what you think you means, or like check out Urban Dictionary. but yeah, Justin is the sweetener in my tea. He's always here to sweetin' up my days when they're sour."

"Successful...Its nice to be successful. I'm successful in a way I never expected. I'm living out my dreams in a way I never expected, and if you're living out your dreams, you're successful just like me."

"I wrote Eveytime about when ever Justin & I had broken up, I always found myself going back to him, and he was there waiting for me."

"Breathin might be kinda obvious on what it's about. I haven't talked about this much, but since Manchester my anxiety has been over the top. People would want me to go see doctors and get medication, hence the lyric "people tell me to medicate." but I wasn't about that. One day, Justin told me to just keep breathing, everythings gonna be okay. When ever I mention someone in the song, I'm mentioning him. He reminds me of the days when things weren't so damn complicated."

"I feel like No Tears Left To Cry is exactly what the title is. I just feel like it's about being happy & choosing your own happiness, vs someone else giving it to you. Were done being sad. We're picking up the pieces, loving life, loving ourselves, and turning it the fuck up...at the club, or wherever and having fun with life."

"Can you fucking believe I have a song with Missy Elliot? She's an icon, I'm so grateful to have her on Borderline & just the the album in general. I wrote this song about Justin, obviously, shocker, and before we got married since I was tellin him I'm "The wifey type", I still am *winks* and if y'all don't know what tasting ice cream is, you're so innocent and I'm sorry to corrupt your mind."

"I found this song in an old notebook, called Better Off,  from when I was on the Honeymoon Tour. I wrote this after Justin & I had broken up, and I thought it deserved to live. I was trying to tell myself that I didn't need him, and I was better off on my own, but obviously that wasn't the case. It's a great song to have as a reminder that I always don't need a man, Im just as good on my own. I hope that some of you will be able to relate to this and come to your own realizations."

"Goodnight n Go is probably another favorite simply because... it's from Justin's point of view. When we finally got back together I tried really hard to take things slow and Justin was kinda sick of it. We had done it all before, why not jump back in?? So for this song, he always wanted me close to him, but I would always say goodnight and go, I would leave for my own place even when he would beg me to stay. And it was so sweet to do something for him but also from him & his perspective, which is why the next song on the album is...."

"Justin Bieber. Simply because, I love him. I wrote the song a day or two after we had found out about that I'm pregnant. I really do feel like the universe had my back and gave me someone who's always gonna be here to love & support me. Imma be happy, forever, because of him."

"Get Well Soon, was one of the hardest songs to write, emotionally at the start, but it did get better. Manchester was one of the hardest moments of my life and yours too, we were all affected, we all lost someone or multiple someone's. I love you all dearly, you all have a special place in my heart. And I know I can't do much, but I promise to be here. This song is my medicine. It can't do much but at least it's there. I left an extra 40 seconds on the final track for the lives lost. 5/22 is the day we lost some, and our hearts broke. The silence is for them. Wnd everytime you listen to those quiet moments I want you to remember them like how i do every moment of my life. Our 22 angels, this song will forever go out to you. We all miss you so much."

I hope you enjoy this album. I hope it heals you in the way it has healed me. I love you all. Thank you so much for all your support ♥︎♡☁︎