Chapter 41

Who could have thought an old man would be very happy to receive lego as his gift? After all, the old man was not an ordinary old man, he was the respected businessman.

The birthday dinner was full of familial atmosphere. Though Clarisse was still a lil awkward, she could adapt well, thanked to the little girl,Kelly, who accompanied her the whole night. There was also Kaylee who sat beside her and chatted with her.

"Fortunately, I forced you to the anniversary party few months ago.", said Kaylee while sipping her wine.

Clarisse who had Kelly sat on her lap asked "Why?"

"Kevin hasn't told you?", Kaylee widened her eyes.

Clarisse only shook her head lightly.

"Then, let him tell you himself."

Clarisse didn't give any responses. She only kept quiet, but her mind worked hard. Why ?

"The big boss is here.", Kaylee suddenly screamed.

Soon Clarisse felt a big palm pressed her shoulder and she heard a warm breath near her ear "Grandma is looking for you."

Then Kelly who was sitting on her lap was picked up by the man and her hand was held by his other hand. Clarisse was startled by his action. He had never held her hand before. He would always drag her by her wrist.

He had kissed her several times, and those times always made her heart jumped up side down. However, she never thought that his small gesture would melt her even more.

Kevin felt her palm was cold. Is she feeling sick? However, he couldn't check her in front of his family. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

"Come here, girl. Sit beside me", Grandma Lou waved her hand to Clarisse.

Clarisse smiled and sat beside her.

"Tell me if old boy bullies you.", Grandma Lou told her.

She of course couldn't tell Grandma Lou that Kevin would steal her kiss whenever he had chance, so she could only smile and nod.

"Grandma, we will leave first. She has just recovered.", Kevin excused themselves. He wanted to let her rest as soon as possible. After all, he should have just let her rest well instead of taking her here. However, if he didn't do things fast, he feared that he would lose her.

"Are you sick , girl?", Grandpa Lou asked worriedly.

"Just fever, I have recovered.", Clarisse explained.

"Then, quickly go and take a rest.", this time Madam Lou adviced.

"Hey.. old boy, bring her home to have meal", said Grandma Lou.

"That.. you need to ask her.", Kevin threw the responsibility to Clarisse. He wanted to know what her reaction was.

What kind of reaction could Clarisse have? There were only smiling and nodding.

"Good. Be careful.", said Grandma Lou.

Kevin had booked a president suite in the same hotel so he brought her to the highest floor where the room was. The "ting" sound from the elevator showed that they had arrived. Kevin was still holding her cold hand and brought her to the room.

"Where is my room?", Clarisse asked when she saw that they were entering the same room.

Kevin turned his head "There are two bedrooms inside."

As soon as they were inside, Clarisse broke from his grip.

"Explain."

Kevin turned to look at her. He knew he had triggered the tigress inside her.

"Which part?", he asked gently.

"What's with granddaughter-in-law? And why does Kelly call me auntie K?"

"As what you have thought."

"What is my thought? Did you mean that you took me to replace your fiancee? Why? Why didn't you ask my opinion? Why didn't you respect me? Why did you just take me there? Do you think that because you are my boss then I will do anything to please you? Who do you think you are?", Clarisse increased her voice higher and higher for each question. She felt so emotional. She didn't feel good for being used. However, she didn't understand until the later that she was being emotional because she loved him. She felt bad because she was too afraid to admit that she was just a replacement for his fiancee.

Kevin sighed. This girl, she is clearly a smart girl, how could she misunderstand things to this stage?
He walked closer to her who was still catching her breath after being too emotional. Her eyes were glaring fiercely toward him. He took the tigress into his embrace. He leaned on her shoulder and whispered firmly.

"From the very beginning, you are the one that I choose to live with for the whole of my life."

Clarisse laughed sarcastically which made it sounded like underestimating herself "I am the one that you choose, but the one that you have to marry is another girl. Do you mean so?"

Insecurity had always been a shadow that followed Clarisse. Thus, the fear to be hurt was extremely high. She would always choose to hurt herself than being hurt by others. She built a wall to let no one ever hurt her, so she would never be able to look clearly. She would make every reason to match her hypothesis that they would never be together. Thus, no matter how clear things were ,she would misunderstand things.

Kevin felt helpless. How could she think that way?

He held her shoulders and looked into in her eyes then clarified firmly. "Key, listen clearly. You are the one that I want to marry, and will be the only one."

She was shocked. Utterly. Her brain seemed to be attacked by virus which made it stop working. However, after a moment of silence. Her insecurity still won over her heart.

"Marriage? Do you think it is only about you and me? It involves both of our families."

He smiled and felt relieved. "I will of course win over your family to ask their blessings."

"Not my family, but yours."

"..."

"My family background is very complicated. So, it's better for us not to start any relationship which won't get blessings from your family." She deliberately stressed 'your' word.

Kevin understood what she talked about. I need to assure her.

"They have known."

Clarisse didn't answer him, instead looked into his clear eyes. She tried to look for confirmation.

"About your family, they have known about it and they have given us their blessings."

Her face suddenly turned white. She felt like her world coming to end.

"You check on me."

Kevin was stunned.

His silence was a clear confirmation to her answer. She pushed him and walked toward the room on her left and closed the door with a loud bang.

Kevin was confused. What's wrong? What makes her so angry ? He tried to turn his brain to find out the mystery.

Author note: sorry for the very late update as I had a reception to attend. Btw, I would be extremely excited to know your opinion about this story, especially this chapter. Please comment about your opinions, if you don't mind. Enjoy 😚😚