Competition Day (Part 1)

The weekend could not have come any slower. Today was Saturday the day I had my swimming competition. I would be competing in the 800 meter freestyle, 200 meter backstroke, 4 by 200 meter freestyle relay, 4 by 100 meter relay, and 1500 meter freestyle. My coach was giving me a pep talk right now since I was getting ready to do the 800 meter freestyle. I knew what I had to do in the beginning to make sure I wouldn't tire out in the end. What people didn't know was that these were the Pan Pacs and were being held here in Australia this weekend. The schedule though was the most hectic or at least for me it was. All of my qualifications were in the morning along with the relays and then at night were the finals. This was just for the girls though since tomorrow would be the guys time to swim. 

        I was walking out onto the platform after they had called my name and I heard screaming and when I looked up I saw posters with my name on it and I also saw five certain boys, my whole family, and then a certain four boys. I waved at the crowd and then started to get ready. I took my jacket off along with my headphones and phone. I handed them to the lady who be holding all of my stuff during the race and then went up to the water to splash some on myself while putting some in my mouth and then spitting it out. I got up onto the blocks, stretched my body out, and then took the position getting ready to jump in. I looked to my right and left and noticed Katie Ledecky was next to me and I knew she would be a major player in this race going out fast. I adjusted my goggles and then waited. The beep went off and I jumped off the block into the water. I noticed Katie had already surfaced for air while I was still under. She was about a length ahead of me before I started to catch up. We had already done 400 meters with another 400 left. We were neck and neck for the whole thing. It was down to the last 50 meters when I started to get ahead of her and I knew it would be close. I touched the wall a second before she did. I looked up at the boards and noticed I was in first with Katie behind me. I slapped the water and jumped up. I was so happy that I forgot Katie was next to me. She came into my lane before swimming to the ladder and hugged me. I congratulated her and told her I would see her tonight and I would see her again in the 1500. All she could say to that was bring it on. I hurriedly got out of the pool and went into the locker room to put on a new suit. I would be on again after this race. 

        I was watching this next race waiting for my race which was the 200 meter backstroke when I saw everybody and I mean everybody come up to me. I hugged them all while getting congratulations screamed into my ear. 

"Bindi you did so good out there. How did your father and I never know that you swam or did gymnastics?"

"Ummm I kept it a secret from anybody. Besides you were too busy with Ash to notice me." I realized that it was my race now and I hurriedly hugged everybody again making sure to kiss Harry before I walked out and took my spot again. I did the whole getting ready routine again before I jumped into the pool. I stretched my sore muscles as I lifted myself into our starting position and looked to my right to see Missy Franklin. I knew that she had injured her back in practice so I knew that this would be an easy win. I took up my position and then heard the beep go off. I flew backwards and I knew that I could do this fast since it was two laps up and down my lane. I finished in first again and I hurriedly told Missy good job while I got out of the pool to go get ready for the 1500 meter. I was sore after all that swimming, and my coach saw it in my face. He handed me my gatorade and started to massage my shoulders. I was so tight in my shoulders which for a swimmer is a bad thing since your shoulders are whats doing all the work along with your legs. Right now my whole body felt like jelly, but I pushed myself to get up when I heard my name being called. I walked outside and waved to the crowd. I walked up to my lane to be congratulated and I thanked the lady when I handed my stuff to her. I got on to the blocks after preparing again and I looked at Katie a couple of lanes down from me. I nodded my head at her and she did the same back to me. Once I heard the beep I took off. I noticed she and I were a lap ahead of everybody. I knew her strategy would to take it slow since that was my strategy. Plus I was tired and she knew it so that was an advantage to her. We were now down to the last 50 meters and she was ahead by a little so I kicked as hard as I could until I closed my eyes and reached out. I felt the wall under my hand and I looked up at the board to see Katie's name ahead of me. She looked so happy, but this was just a prelim nothing major. I swam over to her lane and congratulated her before climbing out. I finally had a break before I had to the relays. My favorite thing to do at a competition like this were the individual medleys, but my coach and I had agreed that I would be doing the harder stuff here to save the medleys for another time.