Chapter 18

Sam passed out momentarily, but he snapped awake when he felt the pain in his side. The truck was in a ditch. He looked to his right and saw Brenda and Donna. Donna was awake and appeared to be fine, but Brenda had a gash on her left cheek and her arm was twisted in a weird, definitely unusual way. He tried to move, but there was a sharp pain in his left ankle. It must be broken or something, he thought. He could barely move it with out it hurting. He looked down at his arm and saw glass shards sticking in the palm of his hand and part of his arm up to his elbow. He started breathing hard.

"Sam? Sam, you're okay. We're gonna be fine okay?" Donna said, trying to calm him down. He gasped out,

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, maybe just a few bruises. I can't open my door." She said as calmly as possible, trying not to scare the boy anymore than he already was." Are you hurt?"

"Side, ankle hurts, and shards of glass stuck in my arm." He gasped out. He used his good arm to try to open his door. It opened easily. He got out slowly, trying not to hurt himself anymore. He hissed when he tried to walk on his ankle. Keeping his good hand on the truck to keep himself up, he looked around for the other car, but it was no where to be seen. He hopped around to Donna's side and tried to open the door. It didn't move. He tried a few more times, but it still didn't move.

"Donna, I need you to hold the handle and push on the door as hard as you can okay?" He grunted. She nodded.  Using every bit of strength he had left, he yanked on the door and it opened.

"Thanks, lets get Brenda out." She said, breathing hard. Sam nodded, and reached in to unbuckle the seat belt. He, as gently as possible, turned her where she was laying on her back on the seat. and took her under the arms with both hands, not caring about his injured arm, and pulled her out. He laid her on the grass and he got beside her, making sure that she had no other injuries and that she was breathing. He heard the sirens but it felt as though he couldn't breathe.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He gasped.

"It's not your fault Sam. Just calm down. You're fine, I'm fine, Brenda's fine."

"No she's not! She's hurt and it's my fault! She probably hates me now!" He exclaimed, his breathing coming out faster and shorter. He could see the flashing lights behind Donna as he felt the bile rising in his throat. He leaned over and puked. Then, everything started to fade to black.