Chapter 20

Sam, much like Brenda, was confused when he woke up. He didn't know where he was at until he opened his eyes and looked around the room. Why am I in a hospital room? He thought. Then everything came flooding back to his mind. The deer, the accident , everything. He looked down at his arm and saw that it was covered in bandages and blood was already seeping through. Then he looked down at his foot, which is in a white cast. His head is hurting and he wants to see Brenda and make sure she's okay. Just then, a nurse came in with a roll of bandages and tape. She smiled slightly when she saw him looking around.

"Hi! Its good to see you're awake Mr. Evans!" She exclaimed.

"Sam." He mumbled.

"Huh? I didn't quite catch that."

"Call me Sam." He mumbled again, loud enough for her to her.

"Oh okay Sam. I'm gonna change your bandages and then ask you a few questions okay?" He nodded." Oh, and by the way, I'm nurse Sarah, or you can just call me Sarah." She said as she unwrapped his bandages on his arm. He didn't even look. When she finished, she balled up the bandages and tossed it in the trash. Then she took off her gloves and put them in the trash as well. She got a pen and picked up a clip board.

"Okay, how are you feeling? Is the pain 1-10?"

"8" He grunted.

"I'll get you something in just a few seconds. Okay, where does it hurt the most?"

"Head and arm"

"You know you have a concussion right? That's why your head is hurting. In the crash, the driver side window shattered and there was a lot of tiny pieces and big pieces as well, in your arm. You had to have surgery to get most of them removed." She answered, writing even more stuff down.

"Oh, where's my girlfriend and her mom? Are they okay?" He asked.

"Oh they're perfectly fine. Well, not exactly perfectly fine, but they're not as hurt as you."

"How so?"

"Well, Mrs Jackson has a few bruises but nothing serious. She is in your girlfriends room along with your parents. As for your girlfriend, she has a small gash on her cheek that needed stitches but won't scar. Her left arm is broken in two places and she has a bruised rib."

"Can I see her?" He asked again.

"Her me get you something for the pain and when I get back I'll well you what happened to your ankle then I'm gonna ask you a few more questions then I'll let them know that they can come see you." She said and left, putting her clip board and pen on the table. He sighed.

"My god why?" He mumbled to himself. She came back a few minutes later with a bag of liquid. She hooked it up to the IV and said,

"This should help the pain in a few minutes. Now, I just have one more question." He nodded." Do you remember what happened?"

"Um, we were leaving the hospital since Brenda's brother's wife is having a baby. We didn't leave until like, 12. I was driving. A deer ran across the street, but I didn't hit it. There was another car and I don't know why they were out so late, or who it was, but they swerved and hit us dead on. I think I passed out for a few minutes after that. I woke up and saw Brenda passed out beside me. Her mom was trying open her door but couldn't. I got out and tried to open it. We got it open but it hurt like hell." He said sputtering a bit." That's all I remember."

 "Okay, thank you." She wrote something down." Alright, about your ankle. Its been fractured, not to but bad enough to have to wear a cast and use crutches." He groaned. From pain, and annoyance.

 "So I'm gonna have to use crutches at the beginning of the school year? Again?" He groaned again.

 "I'm very sorry but the good thing is, you can still play football! When does the season start?" She asked. This lady is a little too enthusiastic for me, he thought.

"Middle of October." He replied, shifting slightly.

 "Well its August 1st and you'll probably be out of the cast by late September."

"Thank god. Now can they come see me?" He asked, starting to get irritated. He knows he sound selfish but he doesn't care. He wants to see his girlfriend.

"Oh yes! I'll be right back with them!" She exclaimed rushing out of the room. She knocked on the door of Brenda's room.

 "Hey!" Brenda looked at her. She's sitting up on the bed, legs over the side. "How are you feeling?"

 "Fine, no pain. I just want to see Sam." She stated. Dwight and Mary nodded in agreement. Donna had gone to the other building to see Chris and Lauren.

"He's finally awake and in a bit of pain. He's been asking for you." She said.

 "Let's go then!" Brenda exclaimed. "And I'm not riding in a wheel chair the whole way there." She stated once again. She stood up, holding onto the IV pole.

"You don't have too. Come along." Sarah said, motioning for them to follow her. When she got to Sam's room, she knocked again. The only response she got from him was grunting. She laughed and opened the door. He was sitting up now, his chin on his hand as if he was bored.

 "Sam!" Brenda explained and rushed over to him. She sat on the edge of the bed and kissed him. Mary and Dwight went out side to talk to Sarah in the hall way. She kissed him again.

 "Oh my god. I was so worried Sam!"she exclaimed

 "I'm the one who should have been worried! You're hurt!

"So are you Sammy! Worse than me!"

 "I don't care. You're more important to me." He said, him voice cracking.

 "Sam...are you crying?" She asked.

"Its my fault. If I had let you drive, none of this would have happened." He said, a tear falling.

 "Oh Sam, no it wasn't. Its not like the deer would have waited to cross the street until we passed it just because I was driving." She told him. "Stop crying okay? I'm the one who should be crying." She ran a thumb under his eye, wiping the tears away. He took a shaky breath and smiled at her." Mama said that you almost had a panic attack in the truck when you woke up."

 "I wish she hadn't told you that." He said, blushing." Hey, did Lauren have the baby yet?" He asked as his mom and dad came back in.

"She had him about ten minutes ago." Mary said." I just got a text from Donna."

 "Its a boy?"Brenda asked.

 "Yep. 7 lbs, 5 oz and 21 inches long. He has brown hair and brown eyes." What's his name?"

 "Blake Daniel Jackson."

 "I like that name." Brenda said. Sam nodded in agreement.