Chapter 11 : Companion

Days passed by and I still can't get over on how Jungkook pleased the crowd with his talents the other night. That event inspired me to sketch him, again.

It is not like the first time I tried to draw a portrait of him. Usually, my pieces are images of him.

Since I was young, I was drawn to art. I would squeal every time my mom and dad would buy me art materials before. I used to draw sceneries and landscapes, but when I saw Jungkook, my perception of art changed.

He is like a living art.

Since then, I bought a separate artbook where my sketches of him are compiled, call it weird, but for me, tracing every beautiful detail about him is something worth the hard work.

Some of the papers are already scraped, and most of my sketches of him are ugly, maybe because I drew him every single day when I was still young.

Other than that, the rest of my days have been a nutshell. I can't even entertain myself with my habits like watching movies or playing video games.

Grabbing my bus pass and my wallet, I walked out of our house to buy some groceries because I'm running out of them.

It took me a while to walk at the nearest bus stop, and since our neighborhood seems like a deserted island, it took a long time before a decent ride stopped in front of me.

Once I arrived at the supermarket, I pull out a very big cart and started grabbing the kinds of stuff that I will need in a month, or probably less than a month.

Mom and dad still haven't sent me an allowance, so I have to be wise about using my money right now.

Once I got to the meat section, I picked four chunks of beef meat, chicken breasts, and pork bellies.

"Deonne?" I quickly turned my gaze upon hearing the voice. As I look, Mr. Jeon is standing right behind me, his hands pushing a big grocery cart as well.

I gave him a smile, which I hope looked manly, and he gladly returned one. "Hey, sir."

"Are you here with someone?" He asks, and I fervently shook my head.

Unexpectedly, he asked me to shop for groceries together, and of course, I don't have the guts to say no to him.

I moved cautiously while I'm with him, I don't want to get caught, but then he spoke. "You know what, you really looked familiar." My heart thumped louder while hearing those words.

Could it possibly be that he knows I'm faking my identity?

"Oh really? I don't think I look like any celebrity." I nervously laughed.

"Silly boy, of course not." He chuckled. "You look like someone I know, but I think that would be impossible, so nevermind." The old man shrugged.

Feeling relieved, I continued pushing my cart and finally, I finished picking out groceries. But I still got to accompany Jungkook's dad, I don't want to look high-handed.

"Oh Mr. Jeon, I think those apples are not in good condition anymore," I called his attention as he was about to put a dozen of apples inside his cart.

"Really?" He picks one of them and then examines it carefully. "I think it's okay."

I walked towards him and took the same apple from his hand, in a polite manner. "You see these spots here? It means it's rotten. Plus I think it was dipped in too much wax." I explained and he nodded his head slowly.

I helped him return the other rotten apples in his cart and replace it with good ones. "It seems like you're very professional with these kinds of stuff. No offense, but most of the people I know that is knowledgeable about things like these are women."

Another mini heart attack, upon hearing those words. Okay, if you're going to be like this my soon father-in-law, just say it directly that you know I'm a woman pretending to be a guy. At least I'll really get an attack from being caught.

"None taken." I forced a smile. "I used to live with my grandma before... and she taught me these stuffs." I pulled out a lie. Although it haunts my conscience, I'm glad that he fell for it.

Once we are at the cashier, I let him fall in line first. The moment Jungkook's dad was done checking out his items, he was about to bid his goodbye to me but then he received a phone call.

At first, I thought it was just Jungkook asking his dad to buy a specific food or something, but right at the moment that the paper bags he was holding fell from his hands, I immediately knew that something was wrong.

Was it Jungkook? Did he go out and had an anxiety attack?

I'm worrying too.

"... okay, I'll be right there... I have someone who can watch him... yeah don't worry." With that, Mr. Jeon ended the call and reached for my arms which caught me in surprise.

"Can I ask you a favor? It's urgent." His eyes are teary.

Oh my goodness, did something really happen to Jungkook?

"Oh, s-ure." I stuttered.

"Can you go to Jungkook and accompany him for a while? My mom is almost at her deathbed... I- I need to see her." A lone tear escaped from his eyes and it broke my heart.

I hate this feeling.

"I'll pay you if that's what you want, I just really need someone to look out for my son as soon as possible."

"Oka-y." Is all I managed to say.

Then he slid his hand inside his pocket and handed me money, which is definitely too much. "Here, I don't know when will I get back, but please make sure that my son won't go out. I trust you." I nodded and smiled at him which I hoped assured him that I can do the job.

After he left, the lady on the counter continued on punching my items.

What I'm thinking about right now is how I'm gonna bring these groceries back to my house and the Jeon's.

I decided to just take a cab back to Jungkook's house so it won't be a hassle for me. While on the ride, I'm really sweating in nervousness.  How will I tell him what happened?

Once I arrived, I placed all of the paper bags in front of the doorstep first before ringing the doorbell.

As I heard footsteps getting louder, my heart is beating faster as well.

Stop it, heart, it's not like the first time you're seeing him.

Once I heard the doorknob clicked, I was greeted by Jungkook. I'm still not used to having him face-to-face, he really looks ethereal.

"Oh, hi. These are the groceries that your dad bought earlier and I-"

"Are you my babysitter?" Before I could finish explaining, he sounded very surprised by his question as well.

I laughed with the term he used. "A what?"

"Babysitter. My dad told me he hired one." I don't know what to say after that.

Does that mean I get to stay inside the Jeon's house? My subconscious squeals.

"Well, at least it's you. It'll be awkward if someone I don't know gets to stay here while dad's away." He answered my curious thoughts, which made me scream in silence.

"Oh, and I don't like the term babysitter, how about a companion for a while?"

"Sure." I cheekily smiled.

"Well, come on in, it's cold out there."