Chapter 36 : Last Session

Today, I heard Jungkook and the others bonded outside. They drink and enjoyed at places they intended to be in. My heart melts whenever I imagine the sight of them being together.

Before, they are just nice boys (except for Jimin and Yoongi) who were hanging around inside one secluded room because they are friends with someone who is not allowed to go out.

Jungkook told me that they were school mates when they were kids, and what I admire about them is that they stick together as one. No one is left behind.

I arrived at the Jeon's house earlier and as expected because Jungkook is still not here and instead of him welcoming me inside, it's his aunt who did. "Welcome, muffin. What's our agenda for today?" She bats her eyes while I made my way in and ignored her.

I told her that I need her full cooperation tonight for our last therapy session. Yes, you heard it right, it's our last session tonight. I'm not going to say that I will be missing spending nights talking to him, because I will.

I signed up for this, I already accepted the fact that all of these are going to end. I just never thought that it had to be this fast.

I dialed Jungkook's phone number, "Hey, where are you?" I asked as soon as he picked up the call.

"I'm almost there, Hoseok is driving me. Wait for me inside my room, okay?" He said through the other line. "Inside my room." He repeats.

With both little goodbyes, I ended the call and shifted my gaze at the woman who is still waiting for my answer to her question. "I need you to say sorry to Jungkook, tonight. Promise him you'll make up for your monstrous treatments towards him when he was a kid. You're lucky you're not in jail. Because if I were in his position, I'll send you there in an instant." I said, but more like threatened her.

"I already did that." She snorts like a ten-year-old who complains about everything.

"I don't know if you really did, but to make it different you will be writing it in a letter," I informed. It was Mr. Jeon's idea to turn our last therapy into an open forum through letters that he will read out loud.

I don't know where he got the idea but it seems like a perfect one for this night. He too will participate, although I don't know the reason why.

I forgot what Jungkook told me on the call and he arrived while I was loitering around the living room and I saw him a bit mad. I ignored his current look on the face and just gestured for him to follow me upstairs in his room.

"I told you to wait here." He mumbles the moment we step foot inside his room.

"I forgot, but it doesn't matter." I shake off the thought inside my head. "Since this will be our last session, I took your dad's idea."

"What is it?" He asked curiously while he sits on the edge of his bed.

"He and your favorite auntie will write you a letter and you have to read it out loud in front of us," I instructed. "You can also write them a letter if you want to," I added.

"Sounds lame." He whispered but I heard it.

"Tell your dad," I love that after getting free from his phobia, his confidence showed up. My problem is that it went overboard. I think he is capable of having the Jimin and Yoongi comportments.

Half an hour after that, I gathered them all in the living room and I gave them pens and papers. I gave them twenty minutes to write anything that the two adults want to say to Jungkook and what Jungkook wants to say to the two.

I waited for them on a corner and once they told me that they are all finished, I started the session.

Starting up with Mr. Jeon's letter, Jungkook stands up in the middle while holding it in his hands.

"Dear Son,

I'm sorry for keeping you inside this house for years and for not being there with you when all of these started. Since you're starting to be okay, all I want is for you to continue living your life to the fullest. It's okay to be afraid of anything as long as you believe in yourself that you are much more stronger than those fears.

Love, Dad."

I saw tears brimming at the corner of Mr. Jeon's eyes, but he resists it by biting his lower lip. His letter was short but sweet. He did not make excuses for his shortcomings towards his son.

I was about to ask for Hyelin's letter when Mr. Jeon handed out another piece of parchment to Jungkook. "Read this first," He said to his son. Jungkook curiously reached out for it and when he slowly unfolded the paper, I saw sadness in his eyes.

"Dear Joohan's Little Boy,

It has been a long time since I wrote a  letter. Since I won't get the chance to talk to you again because of your condition, I had to write this.

My life was filled with ups and downs, but of course, dear boy, most of them are the downs. I made a lot of mistakes, and what I did to you and your father when you were young counts as two of them. 

I hated your grandfather for cheating, especially when he died without even explaining. Because Joohan looks so much like him, I fixated my anger towards him. I heard that he told you stories that I treated him properly before, but that was far from that.

I used to beat him when he was a child. But your dad never gave up to help me see that he is all I have and that he never stops loving me even though I was a horrible mother.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm sorry that I'm one of the reasons why you are in this situation. Maybe in another life, I'll be a better person and a better grandmother to you.

Love,
Your Grandma"

I heard Mr. Jeon sniffing on my side and I can't help but feel sad. This is why he suggested this activity. He has a letter from her mother to Jungkook.

Jungkook jerks a tear but he quickly wiped it away.

As expected from the one and only heartless person in here, she broke the mood by handing out her letter to Jungkook abruptly. I saw how surprised Jungkook is when he opened the letter but he started reading it.

"Dear Kookie,

I'm sorry for my wrongdoings in the past. I hope we can both reconcile and I'll make sure that I'm going to pay for my actions by treating you and the people around you nicely.

Love,
Auntie Hyelin"

Her letter did not make much of an impact and sense, but I just hope that she really meant what she said in it.

It's Jungkook's turn to read the messages for his father and aunt out loud. His letter to his father is very heartwarming, it talked about how his father always took care of him despite his difficult and rare condition.

It's time for Jungkook to read his message to Hyelin, and what surprised me the most is that it's not a letter. Just a sentence with eight words.

"Make sure that you will keep your promises."

Hyelin, on the other hand, acted like she was deeply touched by Jungkook's eight words.

With that, our last session ended and I had to go home.

"I guess the deal is off?" Jungkook smiles at me, his eyes are pale pink from crying a bit. "I believed that you could help me that's why I said yes to your deal and I'm right. We'll never stop seeing each other ever again." He told me with a smug look and I laughed.

"I guess so." I agreed. "I'll see you around then." He walked me outside their porch and we parted ways when I walked the opposite way towards our house.

Once I checked that Jungkook is not outside anymore, I discretely made my way home.

But I can sense that someone is still following me.