12 October, 1973 - Jealousy

It was a warm Friday afternoon and Lavinia, Severus, Eloise and Alexandra were sitting on the castle grounds, relaxing after a week of classes, all attempting to ignore the sheer volume of homework they would need to complete before the weekend was out. For now, however, they simply enjoyed the fall air and break from the dreary, rainy days that had been the norm for the past weeks. They sat for the most part in silence, with only the occasional blip of conversation, usually started by Alexandra.

It wasn't long before Regulus joined them, plopping down next to Alexandra, who was lying sprawled on the grass. She glanced up at him, took a long look at his furrowed brow and sighed, sitting up.

"Let me guess," Lavinia said, also watching Regulus. "McGonagall is trying to kill you."

Eloise and Severus laughed but Alexandra shot Lavinia a look over her shoulder.

"How'd you know?" groaned Regulus.

"Because I made too many visits to the hospital wing from bird bites last year. For the record, I still blame Severus for that," Lavinia answered, casting a half glance at Snape as she said it. "You're on Vera Verto, right?"

Regulus snorted, remembering Lavinia's near constant state of mild injury last year thanks to both her and Severus's very annoyed ravens, who didn't at all enjoy being halfway transfigured into goblets.

"Yeah. She's just set us 18 inches on the theory since we're all messing it up so badly." The second year attempted a smile that didn't really turn out. "I mean 18 inches," he added in exasperation.

"Wait until next year," Eloise muttered darkly from Lavinia's side. "I cannot for the life of me turn anything into a rabbit. And to be frank, I don't know why I'd want to."

Lavinia laughed and even Regulus quirked a smile. Considering this a sufficient improvement to his mood, Lavinia patted her younger friend's shoulder. "You'll be fine," she assured him. "And if you ever need help, let me know."

Regulus raised an eyebrow. "Careful now, Selwyn," he joked. "You sound like a Hufflepuff."

Lavinia wrinkled her nose. "Ew. No. I fully expect you to tell McGonagall why you're improving and give me full credit. I could use a boost with her. She's terribly stubborn, you know."

Regulus rolled his eyes. "Let's see how my 18 inches goes, shall we?" he suggested.

Severus rolled his eyes at them and Lavinia pushed him lightly on the shoulder. "Don't you start," she muttered. He glanced at her and smiled.

Turning back to the group, Lavinia spotted Alexandra eyeing them strangely.

"What?" she demanded, brows raised.

"Nothing," Alexandra answered.

Lavinia frowned for a moment, but brushed it aside. It was stress, probably. Alexandra had been acting weird lately anyway.

"We should head back in, anyway. Dinner will be soon," Eloise offered, interrupting the somewhat tense silence that had descended.

With a general murmur of agreement, they all stood up and began making their way back to the castle.

They were crossing the entrance hall when William approached them, coming up from a staircase to the dungeon.

"Hey Will," Lavinia greeted.

"Hey," he said. "I've just come from potions. Slughorn said I should give these-" He held up two cream colored envelopes, "-to you and some kid called Snape."

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Lavinia took the two envelopes. William had made no attempt to learn the names of anyone other than the pureblood children they'd grown up with.