28 March, 1979 - Dresses

*

After that abysmal beginning to her day off, Lavinia wasn't particularly in the mood to do anything at all. But after an awkward pause during which no one seemed to know what to say, Lily stood up.

"Well, we'd better get off once you've had breakfast," she announced. "Alice and Marlene will be waiting for us if we're not careful."

Lavinia groaned, remembering that today was the day Lily had decided to go dress shopping. Lavinia had, hesitantly, agreed to come because Lily had seemed so sure Lavinia had a decent fashion sense. Lavinia wasn't entirely convinced of this. Her fashion sense had always been driven by the knowledge that her mother would have a fit if Lavinia wasn't the best dressed girl at any given party.

"Do I have to?" she asked, sighing. She didn't particularly want to leave the house right now. Actually, she really just wanted to find a good book and go back to bed to read. Or maybe write Eloise so she could have someone support her in her dislike of Dumbledore.

"Yes," Lily replied bluntly, frowning at the blonde.

"You do realize my mother is the one with the fashion sense," Lavinia pointed out, sitting down on the edge of the coffee table next to her mug. Sirius came up behind her and offered the small comfort of his hands on her shoulders, for which she was grateful.

Lily just frowned at her. "I was joking about wanting you for your fashion sense, Vin," the redhead informed her drily. "But for the record, you do have one. Have you seen what you wear to work?" Lavinia frowned at that. She didn't think what she wore to work was much to go by. She just wore pants and a nice blouse. And sure she pressed them into clean folds with a handy little charm her mother had taught her, but it wasn't anything fancy.

"I want you there because I value your opinion," Lily continued, shaking her head in exasperation. "I want all my bridesmaids there."

Lavinia groaned again. "Why did I agree to this?" she asked no one in particular, picking her mug up again and giving Sirius's hand a pat before heading for the kitchen. "We both know Alice and Marlene don't want me there," she continued over her shoulder. "Half your guests won't either."

Lily waited to answer until Lavinia reemerged from the kitchen, now sans mug. "We've been over this," she replied and her tone was no longer teasing. "I want you there. That's final. It's James and I's day and that's that. So come on."

She and James certainly looked adamant. James was frowning at her with an expression that said he was trying to decide whether or not it was worth pitching in. Lavinia didn't particularly want to make a fuss out of this so she just sighed and shook her head.

Fifteen minutes later, still privately thinking this was all a terrible idea, Lavinia left with Lily.

All in all, the day actually turned out fine. Alice and Marlene were no warmer with Lavinia than they ever were and gave her some very nasty stares when she shared her honest opinion about a princess style dress that was so completely not Lily that Lavinia had had to suppress a laugh at the sight of her friend in it.

In the end, though, everyone had been happy with the final choice: a pretty bohemian style thing with light skirts that was well suited to Lily and which would go nicely with their spring wedding. Which was coming up fast. The poor muggle consultant had looked terrified when Lily had told her of the wedding date and all four girls had had to find ways to convince her that it would be fine without giving away that they didn't need time for alterations because they could just use spells.

Lavinia knew plenty of ways to alter clothes and though she'd admittedly never worked with a floor length dress, the theory was the same. It was her little contribution since, though Marlene also knew plenty about alterations, she admitted she'd never worked with lace. Lavinia, on the other hand, had grown up with a mother who thought lace was one of the more lovely things a person could put on their body. In Rhea's opinion it was 'mature yet distracting' and could be used to cover up any multitude of sins. She'd often suggested Lavinia wear it more often.