1 September, 1975 - Good Summer?

Regulus Black arrived on Platform 9 and ¾ alone, which seemed to be normal now. His older brother had a tendency to visit the Potter's halfway through the summer and turn it into an extended stay that left Regulus alone with his parents until term started anew. This summer had been no exception on that front. Indeed, the only odd thing about the summer at all was Lavinia Selwyn.

Regulus had written his friend a letter almost as soon as he'd arrived home from the train station, asking if she was okay, if he could help, practically begging for any assurance he could get that Rhea hadn't done something terrible.

When his owl, Pan, had flown back through his window a few days later, he'd forced himself to brace for the worse. He'd prepared himself for a short letter telling him her mother had crossed a line. He'd prepared for a long letter venting frustration, or anger or tears. In short, he'd prepared for bad news.

What he'd received had been worse.

She hadn't answered a single question he'd asked. Her letter had been fairly short, describing how she was wondering if she ought to start studying for OWLs over the summer, how her mother had gotten a tutor so she could keep on top of and ahead of her studies for the important year to come. Not a word about how her mother had practically dragged her off the platform, or why. Not a word about the look in Rhea's eyes that had screamed that someone was going to pay.

What had perhaps been stranger was Sirius poking his head in the door almost before Regulus had finished reading his friend's response.

"I saw Pan fly in from downstairs," Sirius said by way of explanation, closing the door behind him.

Regulus had braced himself, knowing doors were only closed in this house if you didn't want Walburga knowing what you were saying.

There was a beat of silence and Regulus raised his eyebrows, wondering if he'd missed something.

"Well?" Sirius asked at last.

"Well what?" asked Regulus, utterly confused.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Is she okay?"

Regulus had blinked away his shock at Sirius asking after anyone's well being, much less Lavinia Selwyn's. He'd simply shrugged in response. "She won't say."

"Damn," Sirius muttered and Regulus had nodded. The two brothers both knew that the only reason Lavinia wouldn't say anything was if it had been bad. And though Regulus still questioned his brother's motives... well, this at least, was one topic where he could be reasonably confident of Sirius's discretion. The older brother was well aware of the power Regulus held over him in their family life. And, he suspected, was inclined to sympathy with Lavinia on this occasion, regardless of how much he professed to dislike her.

Only a few days after that odd encounter, Walburga had pulled her youngest son aside and asked him about a rumor that Lavinia Selwyn was dating Severus Snape. Regulus had suddenly understood Rhea's rage, though how she'd found out anything about Lavinia's relationship with Severus remained a mystery. He had merely scoffed at the rumor, deftly reminding his mother of Lavinia's perfect image in their circles and how out of character this would be for her, the whole time implying a level or ridiculousness to the rumor. He hoped it had been enough. At the very least, Walburga hadn't brought it up again.

Now, as he made his way to the train to find a compartment, Regulus looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of his friend. He had no luck and finally gave up and boarded, claiming a compartment towards the end of the train once he'd ascertained that no one else in their group had already sat down.

It was only once he'd stored his trunk and settled down at the window seat to keep an eye out for familiar faces that he caught sight of her. She stood with her family, back straight, nose lightly upturned, the very picture of the proud, haughty pureblood girl everyone thought her to be. He breathed a sigh of relief. At least she didn't seem to have drastically changed.