14 June, 1975 - Warning Shot

A/N: Hey guys, I know I usually put these at the end, but I wanted to do this first because this chapter gets a little heavy and I wanted to let you know before you start. So hopefully, without being cliche and with minimal spoilers, this is a bit of a trigger warning. This is going to apply to several chapters in this book, so you know, approach with caution. I will put some form of warning at the beginning of every chapter that has possibly triggering content - from here on out, just a little blip (not totally sure what the best way to do that without disrupting the flow of the story is, so if you have suggestions, please let me know). 

I am trying to portray Lavinia's situation as delicately but accurately as I can so keep in mind that her thoughts come from a very dark place and they are by no means good life advice. I seriously hope that goes without saying, but it also doesn't hurt to state explicitly. Please take care of yourselves and without further ado, here's the chapter:

No sooner had the Selwyn family arrived at their home than Rhea was dragging both her children into the drawing room, barking at Jilsey to put the trunks in their rooms and not disturb them until she was called.

Lavinia could feel her heart beating in her throat, as though it wanted to escape her body and run away. Her breath felt short and there was a static sound in her ears like a record had just finished playing but no one had turned off the speaker. The image of Regulus's scared face seemed imprinted on her eyelids every time she blinked. She wanted to flee.

But she must not show it. She knew that. So though she felt herself trembling, she forced her face calm. There was no reason to get emotional and given Rhea another reason to punish her.

In the sitting room, Rhea dropped her childrens' hands and turned to face both of them, waving her wand to close the doors to the room. Lavinia held herself perfectly still, back straight, hands clasped in front of her. Facing judge, jury and executioner in the form of her mother. Knowing this wasn't going to end well.

What she didn't know was why William was there. He hadn't done anything wrong, as far as she knew. Then again, Lavinia didn't know what she had done, so perhaps that wasn't the best indicator.

There was a laden pause and Lavinia felt like she was waiting for a blow to fall, which was silly. She knew her mother's rages were terrible, but she had never - would never - lay a hand on her children. They would be grounded, their owls locked up, their movements confined within the house, or sometimes their rooms. But that line was never crossed. It was unthinkable.

"Did you know?" demanded Rhea Selwyn and suddenly Lavinia understood why her brother was here. If he had known and not said anything it was as bad as lying to cover up her failings. Which would be punished, of course.

"Know what?" asked William, his voice so much smaller than it had been the last time Lavinia had heard it.

"About your sister pining after some low-class halfblood filth." She practically spat the last word, as if she could really taste it in her mouth.

"No," William whispered, and he cast a fearful glance at his sister. He might resent her prying when they were at school, but they were siblings. And Lavinia could see his fear for her all over his face.

"Good," said Rhea. "Sit." She pointed to a chair a few feet away. "And learn from your sister's mistakes."

William obliged as their mother turned back to Lavinia, who hadn't dared move a muscle as she tried desperately to remember the times they'd been little and she'd managed to diffuse the worst arguments before they got worse. But the best argument had always been that someone else would find out, would look down on them for it. And she couldn't spin that one this time.