ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵗᵃʳᵗ

ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵗᵃʳᵗ

Dexter never really knew her mother, it's not like she made a effort to try to get to know her. Her dad took her, his parents were not proud but accepted the strawberry blonde girl into their lives.

Christopher wasn't the best dad, he would leave for days with note. Dexter mostly raised herself, her dad did try to make up for it. By telling Dexter stories of her mother.

When he left, it always hurt Dexter to no end. He has told Dexter that he's trying his best, he gets mad when she questions him about work or any hope for a stable life.

As a child Dexter was always smarter than everyone in her class. Her dad put in her public school her life, she didn't complain they gave her free books and food when her dad forgot to buy groceries for them.

So by the first grade, the school moved her up a grade. She never gave up on school or goals. Goals such as dinner will be made, grades have to be higher, and being a business woman.

Her dad parents loved the fact that their grand child wants to be a business woman. A fine one, strong woman as she took it.

*

Then her dad left again for awhile. He didn't call into a day later.

"I'm at Stars Hollow with your mother and sister." He said on the phone, Dexter stood in her room putting the blankets neatly on the bed.

"Oh?" Dexter said not completely sure why he was there.

"I just wanted to spend time with Rory." He said making Deters chest hurt.

"Okay, call me when you come back." She said then he hang up the phone.

Dexter waited and waited for her dad to come home, he was gone for awhile. In night she heard someone coming in the apartment. It was horrible, mess every where with cds.

"Dad?" Dexter asked, she got of her room to see him looking depressed. He took off his jacket and sat on his mattress in the living home.

"Leave me alone Dex." He said putting on his radio that blasted The Offspring. He just sat on his mattress crying softly. Dexter knew something must have happened between her dad and mother.

"Want a sandwich?" Dexter asked her dad softly, she was scared that he will get mad.

He just sat there listening to music. After few days her dad got up again. He avoided talking to Dexter, only to say that he was going to work. The apartment wasn't as messy anymore, Dexter was ready to go to college. She got the scholarship, was excited for Yale. She had a full ride and she was putting stuff away.

One day at night her day got a phone call. He was putting some cds away and answered the phone, he looked at Dexter telling her to leave.

She went to her room which was all boxed away, she couldn't hear much of what the phone call was about just that her dad sounded dispirited and happy. After the call was done he went to Dexter room to see all her stuff packed.

"So...your mother is getting married." He said not completely sure. He had a hand behind his head another was in his pocket.

"That's good." Dexter said looking at her dad. He nodded and left the room.

It always hurt Dexter and Christopher that they never got a invitation to her mothers wedding. A phone call at her party with her friends that she as getting married didn't sit well with Dexter.