Chapter Twelve

This chapter may contain strong language and mature themes that may not be suitable for younger readers.

***

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I had passed out from the shock.

I heard two people arguing.

"Did you know?"

Ozai.

"I- Father-"

Zuko.

"She's going to pay for what she has done. This is treason."

"What has she done? She can't control what she can bend! There's no law-"

I heard the sound of a hand hitting skin.

"Prince Zuko. I am the Fire Lord. I am the law."

"But father-"

"Shut up Prince Zuko. Go check on Seizo's daughter. I need her to be awake."

I was awake, dick.

How long had I been out?

I knew this pillow. I knew this blanket. I was in my bed at the palace.

I heard my door open and close.

I opened an eye. Zuko was staring straight at me, his face mixed with concern and something I couldn't quite place.

"You're awake."

"Hit me so I pass out again."

"(Y/N). Are you absolutely insane?"

"Clearly."

He looked angry, "this isn't a joke. My father isn't a joke. He- I don't know what he's going to do, (Y/N), why would you do something so stupid?"

"I- I don't know. It was instinct. I- I'm," I got out of the bed.

Tears blurred my vision.

I had majorly fucked up.

The anger melted off of Zuko's face, he approached me, wrapping his arms around my body, "Calm down. I'll help you. I won't let him hurt you."

A tear rolled down my cheek. Zuko pulled away and held me at arms length.

He wiped the tear from my cheek.

"I promise no one is going to hurt you."

And as I looked in his eyes a fraction of my fear left.

My door swung open, the doorknob lodging itself into the wall behind it.

Ozai entered the room, and as he did, I could almost feel the anger he radiated.

Zuko stood by my side.

"(Y/N). I want you to explain something to me."

I looked at the ground, silent.

"You will look at me when I speak to you. And you will respond when I speak to you. Is that clear?"

I spent years being abused by my father. I could handle whatever Ozai threw my way. I looked up and made sure that I made direct eye contact with Ozai, "Yes sir," my voice was slightly satirical.

"How dare you."

"I beg your pardon?"

Zuko kicked my shin.

I could feel Ozai's blood boiling, "your father told me- he told me that his daughter was nothing but trouble. That she was an insolent bitch," I flinched.