Chapter Sixty-Two

I walked into the bending gym early (again). No one else was here. I laid down on the padded ground and looked up at the ceiling. 

I was glad Zuko and I were on good terms. I was glad that the war was over. Aang, Toph, Sokka, Katara, Zuko, all of us- we are finally living a relatively normal life. Of course, life can't be normal for the Avatar, the Fire Lord, the Bibender, the rest of the heroes of the world. But, this was as good as it gets. 

I heard the door open. 

"What's up?"

"Hi, Zuko."

He walked over to me and laid down on the ground next to me, "Is the ceiling really that interesting?"

I laughed, "No, I'm just thinking."

Zuko turned his body to face me, "About what?"

"I don't know. Everything? A lot has changed since we were in high school, you know. The war ended, and here we are. Going to college like 'normal' people. Oddly enough... here and home are the only places where I'm not getting constantly nagged by the press. I can't even watch the news without getting mentioned or seeing you or Aang. My life is on display for everyone."

Zuko sighed, "I know what you mean. Being the Fire Lord isn't easy, I... I don't know. Uncle is in Ba Sing Se, running a tea shop. Azula is in an asylum. My father is in jail. Aang is the Avatar. He barely makes time for school. You... well... you know."

"Yeah..." I trailed off. I turned my body so that Zuko and I were facing each other, "If you need me Zuko, just text me. We can... we can be friends."

Zuko smiled, "I'd like that, (Y/N)."

I heard the door open again. 

"How are you two always early?" I heard Mr.Lee's voice, "I swear, don't you guys have anything better to do? And why were you never on time in high school?"

I laughed, "Oddly enough, I don't have anything better to do. I like it here."

Zuko nodded, "That is true."

Mr.Lee raised an eyebrow, "All right, well get off the floor. It's dirty."

"Right," Zuko got up and offered me his hand. I looked at it and then up at Zuko's face. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. 

I went to let go of his hand, but my body betrayed me. His golden eyes seared into my own eyes.

Mr.Lee coughed, "So," Zuko and I pulled away from each other and looked away awkwardly, "I was thinking, I was going to let people challenge each other for higher ranks today," Mr.Lee continued. 

"Yeah," I said, "That sounds cool."

Zuko smiled, "I challenge (Y/N)."

"What?" I exclaimed, "What's the point of that?"

"I want to be first," Zuko said. 

"Good luck with that," I retorted. 

Mr.Lee looked uncomfortable, "If you guys are fighting... you're going last."

I shrugged, "Fair enough."

It didn't take long for the rest of the class to arrive. Mr.Lee explained that people could challenge for ranks. 

Most of the matches were simple. No one, but Zuko, challenged me. I guess that made sense. Zuko and I were untouchable. I knew it, he knew it, and they all knew it.

Mr.Lee blew a whistle, "All right, the last fight for today is the Fire Lord vs the Bibender."

The class clapped. 

Zuko and I walked to the center of the gym. 

I looked at Zuko, "If you're scared, you can back out. I won't hold it against you."

"As if, (Y/N)."

I laughed, "It was worth a try."

A sound played from Mr.Lee's phone, signifying the start of the match. 

Zuko immediately blasted fire at me, which I countered with a hook kick. 

"Right of the bat, huh?" I asked. 

"Straight," Zuko bent a steady stream of fire, "And to the point." I dodged the fire. 

I charged a blast of fire, sending an extremely powerful blast toward Zuko. His eyes widened but he rolled out of the way. His hair flung over his face. He looked up and grinned, "Nice, (Y/N)."

"You're not too bad yourself," I bent two streams of fire from my hands, which intertwined creating a blast that headed for Zuko. He got up and manipulated the flames away from him. 

"So this is a battle between masters," I heard someone whisper. 

"So cool," someone else chimed in. 

Zuko ran towards me, flames behind his back. He prepared to blast me. I ducked as he swung his arm, which was coated in a fire, and he missed. He kicked my legs, causing me to fall. 

"Shit," I coughed. 

Zuko put an arm on the ground next to me and held up his fist, which had a flame on it, close to my face.

He grinned, "I win."

"Not quite," I swung my leg up, hitting his back. I slid myself down, and Zuko's face hit the ground above me. I pushed him off me and grabbed his arm, pinning it above his head. I positioned my self over his body, my knees on the ground surrounding him. I lit my own fist on fire and held it to his face, "I win," I said, breathing heavily. 

Zuko looked up at me, "I guess you do," he smiled. 

I extinguished my flame. I looked down at Zuko. His hair was a mess, and he was out of breath, but he still looked good. His eyes were shining and he didn't seem the least bit pissed off that he had lost. 

Zuko looked at our position, "So, are you going to keep straddling me, or are we gonna get up?"

My face turned red and I hit his chest before getting off of him, "Don't make it weird!"

Zuko laughed, "You're not going to help me up?"

"No," I stared down at him.

"Ouch," he laughed and got up.  

Mr.Lee looked at us, "Okay. Uh," he coughed, "(Y/N) is still first. Class dismissed."

***

Katara made dinner for Toph and I. I've got to say, having Kat as a housemate is one of the best decisions of my life. She's a little annoying sometimes but she makes us food. And that's what counts. 

Of course, she makes us all eat together, which is annoying. Sweet, but annoying. 

"So," Katara asked at the dinner table, "How was school?"

Toph grinned, "Great! The Earthbenders worship me. As they should."

I laughed, "Have you taught anyone else metalbending?"

"I'm working on it," Toph replied. 

"What about you, (Y/N)?" Katara asked.

"I mean, school isn't bad. Also, I get to kick asses," I grinned, "What about you, Kat?"

Katara smiled, "I think I'm going to major in healing. I really like helping people, and there is no reason to continue fighting."

"You better not drop out of the waterbending skill class," I said, "I need you."

She laughed, "Don't worry, (Y/N). I wouldn't leave you," she frowned, "How's class with Zuko?"

Toph groaned. 

I smiled, "Not bad, Kat."

Katara looked surprised, but she smiled, "Glad to hear it."

Not bad at all.