Chapter Thirty-Seven

It had been a few days. We'd stopped at a few places, the most notable being this polluted town I couldn't give less of a shit about. 

Anyway, we were camping in the middle of the woods, watching a meteor shower. I looked up at the sky, illuminated only by the meteors. 

"Wow, this is amazing to watch," Katara said.

It was beautiful. I just couldn't help but think: if only Zuko was here to see this.

Zuko and I stood on the balcony in his room, the moonlight dimly illuminating our faces.

I sighed, "The moon is gorgeous tonight."

Zuko looked at me, "It's not just the moon."

"Hm? The stars are nice today too, but the moon..."

Zuko's face turned red, "No, nevermind. That's not what I meant."

"Hey," I took a step closer to him, "Why do you look so red?" I placed a hand on his forehead, "Are you sick?"

"H-hey, (Y/N)!" He shuddered at my touch and jumped back. 

I looked at him with a quizzical expression on my face, "Are you okay?"

Zuko ran his hands through his hair, "You're clueless."

 I had to stop thinking about him. He was as good as dead to me. Even if I saw him again, which I probably will... invasion and all, it didn't matter. 

He chose Azula. He chose his Father. For all I know he's slumming it with Mai right now. Thinking of her hands on his body made my blood boil. 

"Kind of makes you realize how insignificant we are," Sokka said, referring to the meteor shower.

Toph shrugged, "Eh, you've seen nothing once, you've seen it a thousand times."

I laughed. 

A meteor broke away from the shower and came hurtling at the ground, not too far from us.

The meteor crashed into the ground, causing a huge fire to start. 

We all jumped up. 

Katara glanced at the town that was scarily close to the fire, "The fire is gonna destroy that town!"

I saw a creek and we all started running towards the fire, "Kat, let's bend water onto that fire and stop it." 

Katara nodded and we started to bend the water.

Aang turned to Toph, "Toph, let's make a trench to stop the fire from coming any closer."

Toph and Aang took off.

Sokka looked down, "What should I do?"

Ooh, you got me there buddy.

Aang looked at Sokka for a moment, "Uh... you can... watch Momo!"

The flying lemur flew to Sokka's side, landing on his shoulder.

I stifled a laugh and Katara and I worked on the fire. 

Aang, Toph, Katara, and I perfectly executed the stopping of the fire. You know, it felt good doing good things for a change.

"Good work, everybody," Aang grinned.

***

The next morning we were in town. I had bought everyone breakfast and we were eating. The townspeople looked normal. Chatting, taking selfies, playing on their phone... all what normal people who haven't been burnt to a crisp would do.