Chapter Eighty-Two

Darkness is defined as the absence of light, in a literal or figurative way. If light was hope or purity, then darkness was the absence of such hope or purity. There are actions in life that are right, wrong, or somewhere in between. Actions that are light or dark, or somewhere in between.

I had liked to believe that I was a pretty decent person. I have saved countless people and I helped save the world from the clutches of the former Fire Lord Ozai. The Pheonix King. So you can imagine my surprise at this very moment, this border between life and death, where I was faced with what seemed to be a projection of myself, a projection that was engulfed in darkness. I couldn't explain where I was, but standing in front of me was a figure of myself, but the figure was almost completely encased in a deep purple, with little light peaking out. The figure radiated darkness. I could feel the malice, and it was terrifying.

"Scary, isn't it?"

I jumped slightly at the newfound voice and turned around to see a woman walking towards me. I squinted my eyes to try and identify the woman. She wasn't anyone I knew, but as she walked towards me, I felt light wash over me, distracting me from the darkness I was already in contact with.

"Who are you?" I asked, "And uh, where am I?"

"Where you are is hard to explain, but-"

"Pause. I watch a lot of movies and when a character starts speaking in riddles I start getting annoyed. I just want to know where I am, who you are, and how fast I can get back to my boyfriend and the rest of my friends."

"You don't have a filter, do you?"

"Listen, lady, you seem nice and you have this light aura but I honestly couldn't give less of a shit. Just answer the questions."

She blinked, "Usually when humans see me they are compelled to be nice."

"That's good for you, dude."

She sighed, "Very well. My name is Akari-"

"Nice name," I nodded.

"Thanks," she smiled, "As I was saying, I'm Akari and I am the spirit of the light and the dark. As for where you are... if you're talking about your physical body, you're at the Fire Nation Capital City Hospital where your friends are desperately trying to keep you alive. The water tribe girl and the Fire Lord have flown in the best healers from the Northern Water Tribe and they are fighting to make sure you don't die," she waved her hand and I saw Zuko standing over my body, his eyes red and his face contorted into an expression of worry.

"Zuko!"

She waved her hand and the scene disappeared, "Don't bother, he can't hear you."

I glared at her, "Get me out of here. Now."

"Well, that's completely up to you."

"What?!"

"You're here, (Y/N), to face your darkness."

"That's the cheesiest shit I've ever heard. Get me out of here."

"No."

"No? No?! Listen here you little bitch," I raised my hand to blast fire at her but nothing came out. I blinked at stared at my hand, "Hey uh, is there a reason I can't bend?"

"This isn't your physical body. Now shut up and let me finish," she sighed, "I have never met a human with this level of dis-"

"Can you shut up and get to the point? How do I leave?"