Chapter Fifty-Nine

I looked at the stage, where Toph was talking. 

"We're next," I heard a low voice from behind me. 

"I'm aware," I said, not turning around. I looked at the headmaster, "Mr.Lee as our headmaster, huh?" I chuckled.

I heard Zuko sigh, "It seemed fitting. Try not to do anything stupid, this is televised."

I turned around to face him, "You don't have to tell me that. I'm not an idiot."

"Whatever you say, (Y/N)," his voice was cold.

I rolled my eyes, "You always think you're better than everyone, don't you? I should be telling you not to do anything stupid."

"I'm not the one who can't control their impulses. You exposed your bending on live television during a bending tournament, remember?"

"God, Zuko. I was 15. Get over it," I sighed, "Besides, you always do stupid shit."

"Name one time-"

"And now, we call Fire Lord Zuko, and the Bibender, (Y/N) to the stage," Mr.Lee said from the stage as Toph walked down to sit next to Sokka and Katara. 

I put a smile on my face and walked onto the stage with Zuko.

Mr.Lee smiled at us, "Nice to see you two."

"Likewise," Zuko smiled. 

I looked out into the crowd. Hundreds of faces were on me. The light from the stage shined brightly onto my face. 

Mr.Lee looked at us, "Alright, Fire Lord Zuko, what was your reasoning behind establishing this school?"

"Well," Zuko said, "After the War ended, I realized I still had a lot to learn as the Fire Lord. This school provides diplomatic classes as well as bending and a ton of other things. Even though I am the leader of the Fire Nation, it doesn't mean I know everything. Besides," he glanced at me, "Some of the best times of my life were at school."

Mr.Lee smiled, "All right, well we already went over classes and such and I'm sure the audience wants to know more about you and the Bibender. You know," Mr.Lee chuckled, "(Y/N) and the Fire Lord here were actually my students back in the day. Would you guys like to hear about that?"

Applause sounded from the audience. 

"I'll take that as a yes," Mr. Lee said, "(Y/N)," he turned to me, "You've been awfully quiet, which is unlike you, to say the least."

I laughed into my headset, "Is that right? I guess I'm just nervous. I mean," I looked out into the crowd, "There are so many people here."

Zuko scoffed, "Since when do you get nervous infront of crowds? Aren't you used to it."

"Maybe," I smiled, "But it's not something you get used too."

"Yeah," he rolled his eyes, "I'm sure."

"Fire Lord Zuko," I said through gritted teeth, "If you have a problem with me, just say something." 

"Not now, (Y/N)," Zuko said. 

"What do you mean, not now? I haven't even done anything!"

"God, (Y/N)," Zuko yelled, "Can we talk about the school, please?"

"Are you kidding me?" I seethed, "You're the one who started rolling his eyes and scoffing! I'm trying to be civil."

"You're causing a scene."

"You are the most infuriating person I have ever met in my entire life," I said, "I haven't done anything."

Mr.Lee coughed, "Alright, guys... So about the school-"

"You know what?" Zuko yelled, "I am so glad that you broke up with me."

"What the hell are you talking about? You forced me to break up with you! You literally called me a distraction and said that you needed space so that you can do your Fire Lord shit."

"I said I needed space! Not that I wanted to break up with you!"

"You implied it, idiot! And you know what, you were such a dick about it too! I cannot-"

"I was a dick about it? You were a dick about it! What kind of person breaks up with someone and then tells the person's Uncle that the person is a "lowlife who never deserved your time anyway"!"

"Iroh is the first father figure I had! Who else was I supposed to talk too?"

"Okay," Mr.Lee coughed, "So the school basically has-"

"I don't know!" Zuko yelled, "Not my Uncle! He yelled at me for hours!"

"Oh, so you had hours to spare to get yelled at, but you didn't have time to get me a fucking birthday present? Or even just say "Happy Birthday, I love you"?"

"I apologized for that!"

"Did you apologize for going out with Mai, who clearly likes you, while we were dating and not tell me?"

"(Y/N)! It shouldn't matter if I go out with Mai! She's a friend! I am loyal to you!"

"So," I said, "You're telling me... she didn't try to make a move on you? She didn't... kiss you? And you didn't tell me?"

"H-how did you- It doesn't matter! I pulled away! I told her that I love you!"

"You lied to me when I asked you about it," I said.

"(Y/N)-"

"This was a mistake," I said, "I'm out of here," I took off my headset and threw it onto the ground, causing a screeching sound. 

I ran off the stage. 

***

"Found you," I heard Katara say. 

I lifted my head to face her, "What do you want, Kat?"

"Aang told me you said that you guys can be civil," she laughed, "Civil, my ass."

"Did you come here to laugh at me?"

"No," she said, "But, you're a meme," she held up her phone. There was a picture of Zuko and I on the stage, we were clearly yelling at eachother. 

The caption read, "When you're the Fire Lord, but you still have a crazy ex-girlfriend."

She swiped her phone. It was a picture of Zuko with tears edited on. This caption read, "When you're still not over your ex so you get yelled at on live Television."

I blinked, "This is supposed to make me feel better...?"

"Well," she looked at her phone, "I thought it was funny," she knelt to face me, "Listen, (Y/N). I know that I'm friends with Zuko, but you are my friend first. Plus, he did do some dicky things. The point is, we are going to enjoy school, and we're not going to let Zuko bring you down, okay?"

I smiled, "I love you, Kat."

"Yeah, yeah," she said, "I love you too."

She held out a hand to help me up, "Come on, classes are starting, and Pakku is teaching waterbending first. I want to kick some asses."

I laughed, "Let's go."