Chapter Forty

Katara and I were waiting for the rest of the team to come back.

They returned, holding a bunch of stuff they definitely wouldn't be able to afford without me being there.

"Where did you guys get the money to buy all this stuff?" Katara looked at them and then back at me. 

I shrugged, "They don't have my card."

"Toph got us money. She scammed one of those guys in town who moves the shells around all sneaky-like," Aang said.

"She used earthbending to win the game. Classic!" Sokka exclaimed. 

I laughed and went to highfive Toph, "Nice."

Katara glared at me. 

"Uh... not nice?" I glanced at her. 

She looked at Toph, "So, she cheated."

Toph put her hands up, "Hey, I only cheated because he was cheating. I cheated a cheater. What's wrong with that?"

It seemed pretty rational to me. 

"I'm just saying, this isn't something we should make a habit of doing," Katara said.

"Why? Because its fun, and you hate fun," Toph rolled her eyes. 

I tried not to laugh. 

Katara looked offended. 

I put a hand on her shoulder, "Just because your not fun, doesn't mean I don't love you, Kat."

"I'm fun!" Katara said.

"Sure," I shrugged.

"Katara, I'll personally make you an Avatar promise that we won't make a habit of doing these scams," Aang bowed to her.

***

Aang was a liar

Toph sat down on a chair she made of rock and counted her cash. 

I sighed, "You guys have all the money you need. I don't see the point of this."

"It's fun," Toph replied.

"Fair enough," I shrugged.

"Guys, I think these scams have gone far enough. If you keep doing them, something bad is gonna happen," Katara said.

"Kat, just let them have their fun. God knows we need some of that."

"(Y/N)'s just trying to be nice. What she meant was, could you for once stop being such a sourpuss and just lighten up?" Toph asked Katara. 

I sighed. Here we go.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You think I should be more like you? Like some wild child?" Katara replied.

"Yeah, maybe. Maybe then, you'd see how great we have it. I mean, look at us. We're traveling around the world, making easy money, having fun, with no parents to tell us what to do," Toph rolled her eyes.

"I don't have parents," I said. 

No one replied. 

Katara looked at Toph, "Ah, I see. You're acting like this because of your parents."

"Whatever," Toph said dismissively.

"They were controlling over you, so you ran away, and now you act like your parents don't exist. You act like you hate them, but you don't. You just feel guilty," Katara said. 

Way to psychoanalyze her.

"I do hate them!" Toph yelled at her.

"Why?" I cut in.