Chapter Sixty-Seven

So, I got Katara off my ass by saying it was a burn. She did not believe me at first but I lit my finger on fire and offered to burn myself so she could see that the marks would be the same. That freaked her out enough to believe me. 

It was about 2 AM and I had school tomorrow. I couldn't sleep so I got out my phone and texted Zuko: 

   Me: Can we not tell people about us?

   Zuko: So, there's an us?

   Me: ...

   Me: Answer the question. 

   Zuko: Why?

   Me: Idk, I want to move slowly this time. We always rush into things and I don't want to move to fast and ruin everything again. You know?

   Me: Plus, if it gets out that we're together the press will go nuts. 

   Zuko: Hmmmm

   Zuko: Sneaking around is kind of fun.

   Zuko: ok! I'll do it.

   Me: Wyd rn?

   Zuko: Nothing, I can't sleep. I finished all my work for the day.

   Me: Wanna go out?

   Zuko: I'll pick you up in 20 minutes. 

   Me: Oki

I shut off my phone. I went to my closet and took out Zuko's sweatshirt from the other day. I slipped into sweatpants and wore the sweatshirt over the thin t-shirt I wore to bed. I tied my hair back and crept down the stairs. I waited for Zuko outside the house. 

Zuko drove to our house and I got into his car. He smiled when he saw me.

   "I like your sweatshirt."

    "Do you want it back?"

   "No. Keep it," he looked me up and down, "It looks better on you, anyway.

I blushed and looked out the window. It was pitch black outside. Zuko started driving. 

   "Where are we going?"

   Zuko glanced at me for a second then turned his eyes back to the road, "You'll see," he smiled.

   "I'm sorry," he said after 10 minutes of silently driving on a nearly empty high way. 

   "Sorry?" I turned my head to him, "For what?"

   "You were right, (Y/N). I was shitty the last time we were together. I could've made time for you, I shouldn't have snapped when you asked me to take a break."

   "Zuko..." I sighed, "I- I might have been a little pushy. I saw you kissing Mai, and then you told me to leave, I mean maybe I should've tried to speak to you more instead of-"

   "No! It's my fault, (Y/N)-"

   "Miss me with that bullshit, Zuko. It takes two to ruin a relationship."

   "But- I'm the one-"

   "I accept your apology. And I'm sorry too. It's not only your fault," I smiled, "Stop blaming yourself for everything. You always think that a burden is just yours to carry. You've always tried to protect me from getting hurt. It's always been our burden. We were banished, we chased the Avatar for three years, we hid in Ba Sing Se, we-"

   "I betrayed you and joined Azula." 

"We both found our way to team Avatar. You were just slightly delayed. We taught Aang firebending. We have always done everything together. You've made up for your mistakes Zuko, and you don't have to constantly pay for mine. Since the beginning, you've protected me. That scar on your face? That was my fault. I'm a big girl now, Zuko. I can own up to my mistakes, and breaking up with you was one of them. My mistake."

   "(Y/N)," Zuko gripped his hands tighter on the wheel and glared at the road in front of him.

   "Cheer up, Mr. Fire Lord," I smiled, "We're together now. We always find our way back to each other."

   He relaxed and smiled, "Yeah..."  

Zuko drove to an area in the middle of nowhere and parked his car, "We're here."

   "Where's here? There's nothing here," I looked around, we were near a hill. 

   "It's a short walk," he unbuckled his seat belt then leaned over to me. He reached past my body and brought his face close to mine. Without breaking eye contact he unbuckled my seatbelt and smiled, "Let's go," he kissed my forehead and turned around, exiting the car. My face felt warm, but I shook it away and got out of the car. 

Zuko opened the trunk of his car and grabbed two blankets. He slung them over his shoulder and grabbed my hand. We walked up the hill. He led me up the hill and into a field that was filled with bright red flowers, which had illuminating properties. It illuminated the whole field. I looked at Zuko, his face illuminated red due to the flowers.

   "It's gorgeous," I breathed.

   "I thought you would think that," he smiled and set a blanket down on an area without flowers. He sat down and motioned for me to do the same. Once I did he pulled me closer to him and wrapped the other blanket around us. I rested my head on his shoulder, feeling his body warmth. 

   "I love you," Zuko said. 

I picked up my head and faced him. He turned his head towards me. I pressed my lips against his. He was stiff for a second but he complied, becoming more involved in the kiss. He pushed me down into the blanket and hovered over me. 

   "I love you too," I breathed. 

Zuko smiled and closed the distance between us again. After some time, we both laid down and looked up at the stars, our faces illuminated by the flowers and the moonlight. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. His breathing grew heavier. 

   "Zuko?"

No answer. I glanced at him and smiled. He was asleep. It was late. I checked my phone for the time. It was 4 AM. 

Have we really been out for two hours?

I looked at Zuko again. His face was relaxed. He looked so peaceful. 

I traced his scar with my finger. That scar was my fault.

 I softly kissed his cheek then laid down on his chest. 

A little sleep won't hurt anyone.