Chapter Fifty-Five

Zuko fell asleep on my lap. I stared into the distance letting the cool breeze hit my face. 

I heard something shift and then I looked to the side. 

Toph had jumped out of her tent and a rumbling sound shook the area where we were sleeping. Zuko rubbed his eyes and got up. I stood up after him. 

Katara, Sokka, and Suki woke up as well. 

"What's happening?" I asked as a ring of fire surrounded us. 

"I don't know," Katara replied. 

"Well, look who's here!" I heard someone snort and chuckle. I looked up to see a bunch of old men looking down at us. 

Katara and Sokka, however, looked very pleased to see these people.

The old men slid down to meet us. 

"What's going on?" Toph asked, "We're surrounded by old people."

"Not just any old people," Katara approached one of the old men, "These are great masters and friends of ours," She bowed to the man, "Pakku."

That man (Pakku) bowed back,  "It is respectful to bow to an old master," he lifted his head and extended his arms, "but how about a hug for your new grandfather?"

Katara and Sokka caught up with Pakku and introduced us to more of the old men: Piandao (who I knew), Jeong Jeong (Aang's first firebending teacher), Pakku (obviously I just mentioned him), and Bumi (King of Omashu).

"So wait. How do you all know each other?" Suki asked. 

"All old people know each other. Don't you know that?" Bumi snorted and laughed. 

"We're all part of the same ancient secret society. A group that transcends the divisions of the four nations," Piandao said. 

"The Order of the White Lotus," Zuko and I said at the same time. 

"That's the one," Bumi giggled. 

I think that man might be insane. 

"The White Lotus has always been about philosophy and beauty and truth. But about a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important," Jeong Jeong said. 

"It came from a Grand Lotus: your uncle," Piandao turned to Zuko, "Iroh of the Fire Nation."

"I love that man," I said.

Zuko smiled. 

"Well, that's who we're looking for,"  Toph said. 

"Then we'll take you to him," Piandao said.

We turned around and started to walk, but Bumi stopped us, "Wait! Someone's missing from your group. Someone very important."

"Yeah," I started to say, "Aang-"

"Where's Momo?" Bumi interrupted me. 

Oh. Not where I thought he was going with that one. 

"He's gone," Sokka said, "And so is Aang."

"Oh well," Bumi patted Sokka's chest, "So long as they have each other, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about. Let's go!"

Zuko looked at me and we both laughed. 

***

After some time, we finally arrived at the campsite for the Order of the White Lotus. 

"Well, here we are. Welcome to Old People Camp," Bumi said.