Chapter Eighty-Three

[A Few Weeks Later]

I looked at my reflection in the mirror pulled up the hem of my shirt, looking at my stomach which was completely bandaged. I closed my eyes and threw my head back, breathing in the slightly citrus smell of the soaps in the hospital bathroom.

A knock at my door jolted me from my state of bliss.

           "Should I come by another time?"

I turned my head to the bathroom door, which I had left wide open to see Katara standing before me, her arms crossed. I smiled at her and shook my head, "No. What's up?"

          "I can take off your bandages now."

          I laughed and waved her away, "I'm a healer too, Kat. I'll do it myself." 

          Katara batted at my hands and stood her ground, "Absolutely not, (Y/N). I'm doing it."

          I sighed, "If you insist."

          "I do."

I shook my head but complied, following Katara out to the hospital bed.

          "Sit," Katara pointed to my bed.

          I put my hands up and laughed, "Do I look like a Fire Ferret?"

Katara raised an eyebrow.

          "Man," I said, "Tough crowd. Very well, Kat," I sat on the bed and lifted up my shirt slightly, revealing my bandages, holding the hem of my shirt between my teeth, "Go wild," I said, though my voice was slightly muffled due to my shirt.

Katara laughed but did as I said, her fingers gliding through my bandages expertly. She unwrapped my bandages, and the second my wound hit the cold air, I let out a sigh of relief. I was completely healed, not only thanks to Katara, who was a talented healer, but I knew that my own tough skin and the spirit, Akari, had played a huge part in my recovery. Although the only thing I felt at the moment was relief, I noticed Katara eyeing my scar, worry etched into her face.

I looked down at the scar myself. It wasn't anything pretty. The scar started from the right side of my stomach, panning well into the center of my stomach. The skin there was rough to touch, but I was no longer in pain. I pulled my shirt down and turned my head to Katara and smiled, "Hey. I'm fine."

Katara shook her head and her eyes started to water, "When Zuko brought you to me, I felt so helpless. I don't know how you were breathing when I saw you. You shouldn't be alive, (Y/N). And every moment I was with you, I could feel you drifting away," I watched as the tears that had been forming in her eyes, start to trail down her cheek, and fall onto the bed. 

          "Hey," I put a hand on her shoulder and smiled, "A little lightning has never been enough to kill me. But," I pulled her in for a hug, "I'm sorry I made you worry, Kat."

          Kat sniffed and composed herself before pulling away, "I'm just glad you're alright, (Y/N)."

          "Yeah," I yawned, "So, can I leave this place? I hate hospitals. Bad memories."

                 "How's my mother, sir?" 

                "Where's your father?"

                 I flinched at the mention of my father, "Work. Where else?"

                The Doctor sat down at a chair and patted on the chair next to him, "In life, sometimes people, well they- they-"