Chapter Seventy-One

"So, how are we going to tell them?" I asked Zuko as he dragged me down the stairs. 

   "We'll tell them tomorrow."

   I cocked my head, "Tomorrow?"

   Zuko nodded, "Yeah. I'm inviting everyone over to the palace."

   I shrugged, "Fine by me."

Zuko and I walked into the living room where the movie had just finished. Everyone but Katara looked bored out of their minds. 

   Katara sniffled and shut the TV off, "That was such a beautiful movie."

   "Beautiful?" Toph inquired, "I can't even see and that movie was torture."

   Katara glared at her, "You wouldn't understand, Toph. The visuals were gorgeous. Right, sweetie?" She nudged Aang who was falling asleep. 

   Aang jumped at her touch, "Huh?" He yawned, "What happened?"

Everyone laughed while Katara crossed her arms. 

   I giggled and nudged Katara, "Lighten up, Kat. Not everyone enjoys your weird sappy movies. We still love you though." 

   "You were in your room the whole time, (Y/N)."

   "Shhhh. Technicalities. Anyway," I stretched, "It's getting late. I think everyone should be heading home."

   Mai glanced at Zuko, "Zuko... Can you give me a ride home?"

No, stay away from my boyfriend. 

   Zuko turned his head towards me for a second, then back to Mai, "Uh... I-"

   "I'll give you and Ty Lee a ride," Suki butted in, "Sokka and I just called a Duber. There's plenty of room," Suki turned and smiled at me. 

Suki is my favorite person at the moment.

   "But-" Mai started to say. 

   "Thanks, Suki!" Ty Lee smiled.

Mai sighed in defeat and blew the hair out of her face. 

Everyone left the house, except Toph, Katara, and myself... since we live here. I took a quick shower and got ready for bed.

❊❊❊

I woke up the next morning and did virtually nothing for a few hours. We were all going to Zuko's tonight, but Zuko had asked me to come early. He texted in the group chat saying it was for "Professional Fire Nation reasons" and since I am a "big public influence" he would like to "discuss things with me". Now, I'm almost 100% sure that was a cover-up. I got dressed and walked downstairs. 

"Yo, Kat!" I grabbed my keys and slipped into my sneakers, "I'm going to Zuko's. You'll get a ride from Aang, right?"

"Yeah! Have fun," Katara yelled from the living room.

"Thanks!" I yelled back, exiting the house. 

I got in my car and played music. I liked driving alone. Don't get me wrong, I love driving with my friends too, but something about driving alone is just... I don't know how to explain it. The sun was out and I had music blasting at full volume. The way to the palace was engraved into my muscle memory, so I barely had to think about the directions. It was blissful. 

I approached the gates to the palace and turned my music down.

"Can I see an ID?" A palace guard asked me.

I didn't think he could see me through my window. I pressed a button, and the windows slid down.

"Sorry, I didn't bring any ID with me today."