Chapter Forty-Eight

Sokka took Zuko, Suki, and I to our cells and went to talk to his dad. I slipped Sokka my phone during this whole thing, so it wouldn't get confiscated by the Warden.

Zuko and I no longer shared a cell, so I was pretty bored. I laid down in my cell, staring at the ceiling.

I thought about what Zuko said.

"You know how I feel about you. I've made it clear. I just wish I wasn't always wondering if you felt the same."

Was I really playing him? What was I supposed to do? I know that I love him, I've known for years.  But, he left me. He left me in the middle of a fight and started dating someone else. 

How do you love someone and do something like that?

But, I know when Zuko's lying. He's really bad at hiding it. I know that he was telling the truth when he told me that he loves me. 

It shouldn't be this complicated. I love him. He loves me.  

So, what's holding me back?

Fear.

I heard a knock at my cell door. I got up and walked to the slidey thingy. 

Sokka whispered through the cell door, "I talked to my dad. He told me to tell you hi. But also, we have an escape plan. Just, be in the yard in an hour."

"Got it," I said. I paused, "Is Uncle okay?"

"Hey!" I heard the voice of a guard, "What are you doing?!"

Sokka gulped, "This is the bibender! I just wanted to tell her what I think of her."

"Oh," the guard shrugged, "That's fine, but I have to take her somewhere."

I heard Sokka walk away. 

The guard opened the cell door and handcuffed me. We started walking to... well I don't actually know where.

The Guard looked really familiar. He was about my age.

 I coughed, "You know I can get out of these restraints whenever I want, right?"

The guard scoffed, "That's cute."

"No really," I twisted my hands and manipulated the water vapor in the air. I encased the handcuffs in water and then shattered it. I held up my now free hands, "See?"

The guard looked at me, "Are you crazy?!"

"No," I shrugged, "I have no intention of escaping. I just don't enjoy having my hands restricted. So," I smiled, "Let's walk."

The Guard glanced at me sideways, "You're the Bibender, right?"

I grinned, "You've heard of me?"

"Who hasn't heard about (Y/N)? Daughter of the late General Seizo? The only person in the world, besides the Avatar, who can bend more than one element? Actually, I guess it was kind of dumb to think you'd remember me," The Guard said sheepishly.

I looked at him, "Remember you?"

He smiled. 

"Oh!" I exclaimed, remembering his face, "Hide!"

"Yes."

"Ah, it's been three years, huh? Wow, that's crazy. I used to be the number one person in the bending class, now I'm the number one public enemy of the fire nation! Well," I paused, "Number two," I laughed, "Time flies."

"H-how are you laughing about that...?"

"Ah, don't worry about it," I slapped his back, "I'm on the right side of the War, and that's all I care about."