Chapter Sixty

Waterbending class was uneventful. There was no fighting because it's the "First day". Also, half the people in that class just fawned over Katara and me, and that made us both uncomfortable.

Whatever. 

I said goodbye to Katara and headed to my Firebending class. 

Of course, what was the point of going to classes when I'm already better than most of the teachers?

Whatever. 

On the bright side, we were asked to report to the brand new bending gym, so maybe we'll have some fun today. 

I opened the doors to the gym, and it hit something. 

I heard someone groan, and then a familiar voice, "Ow! Seriously?"

I walked into the gym, "Fire Lord Zuko. If you don't intend on getting hit, don't lean against the door."

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

"I'm not Toph. I cannot sense that you are behind the door, can I? That being said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad you got hit."

He got up and brushed himself off, "Whatever, (Y/N)."

I looked around, "Why isn't anyone here?"

He checked his phone, "Maybe because you're 20 minutes early."

"Oh," I said, "I guess you're right. Who's teaching?"

"Mr.Lee."

I sat down on the floor, my back against the padded wall, "Just like old times, huh?"

Zuko looked at me, "Yeah," His voice was softer, unlike before.

He sat down a few feet away from me. 

I chuckled, "Can't even stand to be near me? Can't say I'm surprised."

"(Y/N), I just want you to know, I didn't even want to go out with Mai. I didn't even know I was. I went to visit Azula at the asylum and I ran into Mai. I would never go out with another girl and not tell you. And she kissed me. I denied her."

"Okay," I said.

"Okay? That's it?"

I closed my eyes and leaned back, "What do you want me to say, Zuko? I love you, and I want you back? We don't work. Every time we get together, something happens. The first time, you left me. Now it's this shit. There's always a problem so," I opened my eyes and faced him, "What's the point? Besides," I said, "That's not the only reason I broke up with you, and you know it."

"(Y/N) I'm-"

"Sorry? I know. I can tell. You have that expression on your face. But it doesn't change anything, Fire Lord Zuko. I just hope we can be civil."

"Civil..." he repeated.

The door swung open and Mr.Lee walked in. He saw us and glared, "You guys will be the death of me. Are you kidding me? Yelling at each other in front of a live audience?! I don't doubt that you guys are going to kill each other during class today. I cannot believe- and you know what? I don't care that you both outrank me. This is my class. In here you," he turned to me, "Are not the bibender, and you," he turned to Zuko, "Are not the Fire Lord. I don't care. You guys better behave yourselves or I will not hesitate to suspend you."

I smiled apologetically, "Don't worry about it, Mr.Lee. We won't have any more mishaps, right Prince Zuko?" I frowned, "Sorry. Fire Lord Zuko."

Zuko looked at me, "Just Zuko is fine, (Y/N)."

"I'd rather stick to the formalities. You are, after all, the Fire Lord."

"(Y/N)-"

I laughed, "Kidding. Why so serious, Zuko?"

Zuko let out a breath, "Sorry."

"Well," I turned to Mr.Lee, "See? We're fine."

"You guys are an internet meme," Mr.Lee retorted, "I'll believe that you are 'fine', once you guys get through this class without killing someone."

Zuko laughed, "So, Mr.Lee, what's the plan for today? You know, once everyone gets here?"

"This is a two-hour class, so I kind of have this simulation prepared. It's a point system, and so that way I can determine ranks."

I grinned, "Fun."

"No bloodbending, (Y/N)," Mr.Lee interjected. 

"I wasn't planning on it," I said, "If I used it," I concentrated on Mr.Lee's blood and made him lurch forward without moving my hands, "No one would stand a chance."

"Don't use bloodbending on me!" Mr.Lee exclaimed.

"I was just trying to be dramatic!" I exclaimed. 

I heard Zuko laughing. 

After a while, more people poured into the room. I sighed, "No familiar faces. Disappointing."

Mr.Lee stood at the center of the gym, "Alright, guys! So, today we will be doing a simulation for rank determination."

"Isn't that kind of unfair, with the Bibender and all? It's a firebending class." I heard a voice from the class.

"Listen here, side character. There's no "unfairness" if I don't use waterbending. And even if I didn't use any bending, I'd still beat you." I said.

"Side character?" The boy asked.

"Well, you're certainly not the main character, are you? Not with that plain character design?"

"Character design?!" He exclaimed, "I'm a person! This is how I look!"

"Yeah," I scoffed, "Okay."

Mr.Lee coughed, "Okay. Well, anyway... the way this is going to work is-"

He was cut off by the door opening. 

"Sorry, I'm late! This place is huge, I couldn't find the gym!"

I whipped my head around. I recognized that voice. 

"Shuzo?!" I exclaimed.

"Oh- (Y/N)," he looked down, "Hi..."

What's his problem? He hasn't tried contacting me once over the last five-ish years. What happened to family, my guy?

Mr.Lee looked pissed, "If we are done with (Y/N)-related interruptions, I would like to continue the explanation."

Shuzo sat down, "Sorry, sir."

Mr.Lee looked at  the class, "As I was saying, you will all be wearing one of these," he held up a chest protector, "they have sensors inside. If you get hit, you get a point. Of course, the objective is to not get hit. Whoever has the most points will have the lowest rank. The sensors are attached to my laptop. I will be on the sidelines to see the ranks. When it comes to ranks, if you think you deserve a higher rank, you can always demand a sparring match with someone above you to "steal" their rank. Of course, not today. Today is only the simulation. The simulation lasts an hour and 30 minutes, and we have already lost 10 minutes. I will announce the ranks at the end of class, and you guys can cool down. Okay?"

Everyone said okay back. 

Well, this should be fun.